Shall I get RX 480 over GTX 1060 as it is better in dx 12 / have Async Compute?

MrHardwarex

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
I can’t decide between GTX 1060 6 GB and RX 480 8 GB
both cards have same price and I have 1080p monitor
I like that GTX 1060 is better in dx11 titles and have better drivers and better core clock speed and better overclock than RX 480
But on the other side the RX 480 sounds to be age better/future proof as it have Async Compute which makes it better than GTX 1060 in dx 12 titles plus RX 480 have 2GB more VRAM
Thanks

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the 1060 is very much superior in current games

they are within 3% of each other in dx12, and as you said the 1060 overclocks way better

1060 6gb > 480

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4tlje7/a_tldr_about_the_1060_vs_480/

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
Hello,
I agree with Maxalge. The 1060 is the wisest choice.
I think it's too early to say that the 480 is a better choice for the future because of DX12. First, both cards do well with the (very) few titles using DX12. Then when DX12 is really THE API widely used, both cards will be underpowered, new ones will already be out, second or even third generation. They will still be good, but then we all wil be drooling at the new cards and their power and...
As for the difference between the 6GB and 8GB, IF I'm not mistaken, those 2GB shouldn't matter. NVidia doesn't use the same compression algorithms, so it's potatoes/potato's. Correct me if I'm wrong please :)

Jorge Nascimento

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

How can you even say 3 years until dx 12 becomes standard....vulkun is not the future, then explain why even intel is very interested on vulkan and has vulkan support for their intel integrated graphics, steam is investing hard on vulkan, more then opengl, Dota 2 has 10 to 12 million unique accounts playing during weekends, CSGo is getting source 2 engine with vulkan support, CSGO is played by the same amount of players as dota or even more! (Dota 2 already is using source 2 engine).
Please dont assume things without being informed, information is common commodity today if you not well informed or you don't do your research you are dead in the water.
Deus EX a major AAA title has a little better performance in dx 11 with RX 480 vs gtx 1060, and has a couple days ago dx 12 improved performance on RX 480 placing gtx 1060 behind, and getting a bit closer to 1070 (not much but a little).
Intel is currently developing their intergrated graphics to perform better with vulkan, they tested their integrated graphic with source 2 games, on dx 11 and opengl there were games that wouldn't even run, but with vulkan they do.
When a group like valve is invested on this new api, and with every major company wanting a piece of vulkan group, or just wanting to work close to them, dont thing i need to explain you more how business market works.
CIV 6 will come out with dx 12 on first day, Battlefield 1 will come out with dx 12 on day one, and even more coming within 6 month to 1 year.
<MOD EDIT: Insult Removed>

Jorge Nascimento

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Many people in history said the same about carriages pulled by horse.
If humans don't open their minds they will never leave the lightless cave.
Don't forget dota 2 and csgo have more then 20 million unique players during a normal weekend. Dota 2 as source 2 engine with vulkan support already implemented csgo is coming up next for source 2 engine upgrade.
Don't compare vulkan to mantle. Mantle was a failure from amd vulkan is an independent company that right now has Intel amd and Nvidia with their eyes fixed on.
Vulkan is too bigger revolution on API that no one can't ignore.
Go read some of information on Intel about vulkan and how they are working closely with them.
Information is commodity if are not informed you will always stay in the dark cave.
Btw just because Nvidia failed to adapt their hardware and software to Vulkan, doesn't mean Vulkan is trash.
Even Intel has adopted Vulkan in their integrated graphics. Android already has Vulkan support.
<MOD EDIT: Insult Removed>

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Sure you might see Vulkan in some games, just like we see OpenGL in some games. Its still more likely DirectX will be the most popular PC gaming API for the foreseeable future.

Also, we dont really have a wide selection of Vulkan games to see true performance differences. As you can see with DX11 and DX12 there can be a wide variation in performance game to game (some favoring AMD, others nvidia..)

Right now, the 1060 is the better performing card, most of the time.

Jorge Nascimento

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Better performance lol.... Deus ex runs 10 fps faster and taxes cpu less with rx 480 on dx 11. As we move to dx 12 on the same game rx 480 gets closer to Gtx 1070... Poor gimped refresh Gtx such disappointed. <MOD EDIT: Insult Removed>
Facts are out and the fact the biggest gaming platform of the planet investing hard on vulkan probably means nothing to you.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Not at all, just right now the majority run better on the 1060, thats just a fact. There is always going to be games that will favor one gpu or another.

JmrJ5cD.jpg

Lol vulkan was based on the mantle platform and improved upon. You can try and talk down and disrespect other members on this forum Jorge but the fact remains many of us have been around for along time (longer than others) and know more behind the scenes stuff. You are saying nvidia didn't have vulkan support and dx12 a sync bla bla but you have no actual facts to backup your claims yet you sit here and say others are in the dark cave and don't know what we are talking about lol. Yes dues X runs better on the 480 and comes close to the 1070 and say the 1070 is a "refresh" which that statement alone shows you know nothing. A "refresh" means old tech that's being reused much like amd has done for the 200 series and 300 series cards. The pascal is a completely new technology and can no way be considered a "refresh" since its on a completely new chip. So please just stop commenting because you are only making yourself look worse and worse with each comment.

MrHardwarex

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks to all for their replies as it was very helpful for me and for the others who read this thread

i just want to point out the following from my searching over net and correct me if i'm wrong:
AMD RX 480 have hardware async compute unit while gtx 1060 don't but gtx 1060 have faster gpu speed so it depends on its driver/software to make aysnc compute
nvidia driver are way better optimize than amd but in low level api like dx12 and vulkan the need to driver is low and that why in dx 12 amd rx 480 have better performance/result than dx 11

i agree with others that pascal is new architecture that highly optimized and faster as in 3dmark 2016 time spy DX12 benchmark that use Async compute in its benchmarking both cards have similar close result although both have different architecture which shows that pascal GTX 1060 have faster GPU and have better driver optimization although it doesn't have hardware Async compute

vulkan API use this hardware async compute which give AMD RX 480 better result in doom but again when using OPEN GL API in doom it give GTX 1060 better result than RX 480

so it is kindly like faster gpu clocks( plus better overclock) and better driver optimization in gtx 1060 VS hardware Async unit in RX 480

first i was leaning toward rx 480 than now i'm leaning toward gtx 1060
Thanks

Yes that's where everyone is confused. Pascal does have async compute it's just not the same support or on the hardware level like amd is. However we have already see nvidia is still performing well. I will defend AMD though and say the rx 480 is a very impressive performer for it price. I wouldn't mind having one just to put in a spare rig and mess around with.

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
The 480 should have been impressive for its price, but when you see the reference model at €250ish and the 1060 at €270, then it's not that impressive anymore :(
The Nitro+ 480 8GB is sold at €299 over here :O , I bought my KFA2 OC 1060 €270... and I'm way happier with it.