RX 470 Gigabyte G1 Gaming FAN ISSUES

taynethemayne

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Just bought a brand new RX 470 and its having a lot of issues with the fan. It has already crashed on me a few times due to overheating and the fans not working. So I downloaded the program on gigabytes site that allows me to monitor and adjust fan speeds and temps, but its not responding to it as properly as I set. For example, Anytime I set the fan speed to 50% or higher, it automatically spins at 100%. I do not know why this is happening. The temp at idle is also 60 degrees

edit: It seems to do this randomly after each restart on my computer. I restarted my computer and now the card is responding to the software program. Why is it that it is random on responding to the gigabyte program for fan control?

Solution

I will imagine you have tried leaving them at "default" or "auto" settings, right?

I also imagine it's the first image posted in the thread you linked.

And sorry, but I have no other ideas to be honest with you... More than driver issues, I really don't think it's the card itself.

Are you using Windows 10 as well?

Cheers!
I would imagine it's a problem with the Gigabyte software and not the card (for now). Uninstall the Gigabyte software and just use the AMD Drivers for now. Check the Gigabyte site for the updated utility if there's any or download MSI Afterburner. I am 95% sure Afterburner should be somewhat universal.

If this weird behavior continues independent of the software you use, then return the card and either get a new one of get your money back.

Cheers!

taynethemayne

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Actually it did not.... I was playing today using MSI afterburner and once again, it fails to follow the fan speed settings I set it to. At this point I do not know what to do. Is this a faulty card? Also, I got a blue screen of death saying thread_stuck_in_drivers.... based on what I was reading online, that has something to do with the card as well?

Oh, that is an interesting piece of information.

So it works whenever you open either of the utilities, so then it means the card is failing to "save" the profiles. That in turn means you need to keep the programs running at all times. I am pretty sure there must be an option in each utility to "start with windows" or something like that, and then "load profile at startup".

Cheers!

taynethemayne

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Hi yuki,

Thats the issue... While playing overwatch, my temp reaches 70 degs and I have the fan set manually at 60% during those temps.... But occasionally, it will randomly be at 100% speed even while afterburner is running in the background. I reinstalled my amd drivers last night so I hope that may have solved it. Also, do you know anything about the blue screen thread_stuck_in_drivers issue i had? It has happened only once so far. Thanks for the timely responses!

Cheers!

Just out of curiosity, could you take a screenshot of the Fan Profile Curve and post it here?

Also, you might want to check the official AMD forums and see if there's someone else having this weird Fan behavior issue.

EDIT: Sorry, my mind missed your second question. No, I haven't seen it. That does sound like a driver issue initially though.

Cheers!

Uhm... I don't see a single picture with that link. I only see the general image search.

Cheers!

I will imagine you have tried leaving them at "default" or "auto" settings, right?

I also imagine it's the first image posted in the thread you linked.

And sorry, but I have no other ideas to be honest with you... More than driver issues, I really don't think it's the card itself.

Are you using Windows 10 as well?

Cheers!

Solution

taynethemayne

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
I have tried leaving it on auto settings as well, but it will not respond. The only thing I assume is that it is a driver issue at the moment... I am running windows 10 but I have seen in other forums that people have this issue even on other OS such as Windows 7. I appreciate the help though, thanks a lot!