rx 460 install problem

vincent_media

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Hi, So i just bought a rx 460 and installed it. the problem is that the card has some severe performance issue, in fact its completely impossible to play games. There are some big lags (fps drops) and some problem with the sound to everything is laggy even getting to the menu of a game or even moving the mouse lags. there are all sorts of odd things happening, pink, blue, and red screens at the startup.

some time i can get to the desktop but sometimes display goes black. When i put back my old r7 250 everything is perfect and games play just like before. Please help this gpu has cost a lot and its not refundable.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Well, since we are talking about a low power card I doubt that the issue is your PSU. If your system works without the 460 and based on the things happening, I'm thinking this might just be a faulty card.

Why can't you return it? Did you buy it used?

vincent_media

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
yes i madmatt30 i did, at first i only installed the new drivers (from the cd) and stopped the install during process because it was stuck at 2 %.. after that i uninstalled all drivers from my computer and reinstalled the new ones. My Pc is a Dell t1600 with a lga 1155 socket. I thought maybe it could be the bios (too old?), could it be?

It could also be my power supply ill try to get the model number but if its the power supply but i want the make sure that this is the problem before changing it since its complicated for me to change a power supply and my budget is limited

Also, i can return the graphics card and get a new one. but its non refundable...

If that PSU were a delta made unit (which some Dell's have) I would trust it to be enough.

It isn't though , it's some Chinese junk.
The label say 2x12v rails 17a & 9a which is plainly impossible for a 265w unit.

Is guess there's a max of 17a available through the 20/4 pin & 4 pin atx & 9a available on the molex/sata plugs.

But not all at the same time.

There's nothing on the label giving true actual 12v load limits!

Download furmark

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/furmark,2.html

Make sure any CPU intensive operations are closed down with task manager & do a furmark bench.

This will load the 460 to 100% but will barely use the CPU.

If there's no artifacting then plainly the gpu is good
If there is Arctifacting then it may indeed be the GPU OR it may be a motherboard limit regarding draw through the pci-express slot.

What I would really suggest to be safe either way is.

1.replace the PSU with a decent 350w+ unit
2. Exchange the card for one that does have a 6 pin plug (because put simply this reduces power drawn through the a slot)

vincent_media

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
alright so heres a little update on the situation. After doing a bit of research im pretty sure that the power supply is the problem. So i ordered a 400w EVGA power supply and tonight i will test the rx 460 on my friend's computer. I will keep you guys up to date on what happens next.

thanks a lot MadMatt30 btw for all the precise info

Yzhalie

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
I've the same problem as you (my old one was a r7 250 and my new one is a rx460 with a big fps problem).

Can you give me a feedback about your situation? Is it a problem from the power supply ? Did you fix it ?

Would be nice to have an answer !!!!

vincent_media

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
hi yzhalie, i never been able to make the card work properly in the end, but at least i was satisfied by the customer service that i had.

In the end i think this card is a bad card and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, my pc meets the requirements but it stills doesn't work and i heard that a lot of people are having issues with the card itself or the driver.

the fact that its a new card is no excuse. It should be working without any issues the day it comes out period. If you still have the card i suggest that you don't waste your time with this piece of **** and try to get a refund or try to sell it and buy another card.

TRENDING THREADS