FX 4300 bottle necking GPU's?

ssamramg

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Hey ! I wanna ask a question about my processor. As we all know it's quite an old cpu, and would GTX 1060 or RX 470 bottleneck it?

Solution
If you buy a 1060 3gb (same price and better than the RX 470) you will get very good fps, however you processor will bottleneck your graphics card, and it wont let it harness its full capabilities. If you are planning to go for a processor upgrade in the near future, i would say go for it, and for now, for gaming you could lower the most CPU intensive graphics options.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

other way round, your cpu is the bottleneck to anything decent

max would be something like a gtx 950/gtx 960

ssamramg

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

Can you please explain what would happen if I still bought an RX 470 or GTX 1060 ? Cuz I don't wanna settle for less this time. And also, don't have enough money for CPU this time. Maybe next month or so. Please reply.
Thanks.

ssamramg

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

Thanks that's what I meant. But I can't settle for GTX 960. :/

If you buy a 1060 3gb (same price and better than the RX 470) you will get very good fps, however you processor will bottleneck your graphics card, and it wont let it harness its full capabilities. If you are planning to go for a processor upgrade in the near future, i would say go for it, and for now, for gaming you could lower the most CPU intensive graphics options.

Solution

ssamramg

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

Thanks ! I am very confused between Sapphire RX 470 OC, it seems to be the reference model. Cuz it is the only one that's available on Indian sites. Sapphire is a good company. However, The GTX 1060 3GB model is only available by Zotac. And I dunno if it's a good company or not. Both of the cards have One fan only, but the reference card is full fledged design, while the Zotac has one fan and the GPU is "mini" in size. Just, confused. Even though I have't checked the local stores if they have any GPU's available or not. If so, I'll definitely go for ASUS.
Please let me know quickly. Thanks !

OverclockDaddy

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
OvahClock that son of a ..... fx 4300 with max voltage that will allow it , but check ur mothaboard power phase if it can ovahclock or else say goodbye to your VRMs , im using an old slow fx4100 btw, i also oc it becoz its lame ..... and lastly, even with an ovahclocked fx 4300 is not enough for a gtx 1060, you need i5 minimum for a 1060 bruh

Yes, weve already discussed that it wont be enough, but he can buy a processor and graphics card right now, also an i3 6100 can handle the GTX 1060 fairly well.

The Zotac mini version of the 1060 isnt the best, but it isnt really bad, its fine. May i ask what your budget would be in Indian rupees in case i can suggest you something better? Also may i ask how much the RX 470 and GTX 1060 is costing you?

ssamramg

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Thanks guys ! N yes we do celebrate Christmas.. but I'm not a Christian so I dun celebrate it. However I would love to.
And the 470 costs Rs. 18600. And the GTX 1060 3GB Costs Rs. 18400. It's very close. N MSI 3GB version is way costlier. Rs. 24000. Also There's an option on Amazon.in for Globalstore. They will import from USA and I can get both the cards for around 16-18k rupees.
My motherboard is ASUS M5A97 R2.0
And my new power supply is ANTEC VP 550 P 550W PSU. Would I be able to overclock anything? Also, I haven't tried it before. But if an RX 47, when overclocked, can get close to an RX 480. Then I think it's a fair deal.
And I honestly don't care for fps greater than 60. If I can get 60 fps..on ultra 1080p I'll be more than happy..cuz my monitor is just 60Hz. So not much of a win win situation.

Yes you should be able to overclock with that power supply and motherboard, it may not be the best quality, but it isnt bad. Go ahead and buy the cheapest GTX 1060 you can find, also, im not familiar with the Globalstore for Amazon.in, but if you can get it cheaper through that, go for it.

ssamramg

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

Alright Man ! thanks I finally bought the MSI GTX 1060 3GT OC, from a store located in Mumbai. They seem pretty trustworthy as they also have ties with Amazon.in. So finger's crossed and hope that it arrives soon enough. I will cancel the Zotac card as it looks n feels n is lame. lol.

ssamramg

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

I got the Zotac instead. It was available and delivered when I needed it. It costs around Rs. 18,000. I was surprised to see that there are no Screws to hold it down. No Driver CD. Just a manual and some advertisements pamphlets. Either way, the card is rock solid. And it performs outstandingly.However, my CPU is holding it down. I get some drops now and then. Like, I get 70+ FPS on GTA 5. And never drops below 40 FPS. But in Call of Duty Black Ops 3 THERE ARE MAJOR DROPS. Like 60+ fps and suddenly a drop or lag. It's frustrating but I need a newer CPU. The Witcher 3 runs great 60 fps. BF4 runs at 100+ however on a 64 player map,its low 30's. And Doom runs at 100 fps.
But my monitor is just 60 Hz, so it doesn't matter.
I'm gonna wait until the Zen architecture comes out. Then I will upgrade everything. Including RAM to DDR4. Hope it turns out good :)
Thanks for the help guys ! Appreciate it. Glad to be on this community.