How much will FX 6350 bottleneck GTX 1060

luisperera89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone,
I currently have in my build an FX 6350 plus a R9 280. I was thinking in upgrading the GPU to the new GTX 1060 since it has good performance and there are really good deals in Newegg at around 199~260. But my question is the following, how much will the FX 6350 bottleneck the new GTX 1060 card since it has been around for a while? Any advise, suggestion or critic will be very welcome. Thanks.

Solution

not as much as some would have you believe.
Its a viable pairing imo,Ive been running a 6300 with a gtx 970 for the last 2 years & essentially thats a fairly similar pairing.

Your probably running the majority of newer titles at medium settings nowdays Id imagine if you value fps??
The 1060 will let you run at ultra with...

not as much as some would have you believe.
Its a viable pairing imo,Ive been running a 6300 with a gtx 970 for the last 2 years & essentially thats a fairly similar pairing.

Your probably running the majority of newer titles at medium settings nowdays Id imagine if you value fps??
The 1060 will let you run at ultra with around the same fps.
What motherboard do you own?? A smallish overclock on the 6350 can make a world of difference to minimum frame rates you know??

Solution
Personally I would check with www.canIrunit.com and see what the results are for the titles your wanting to play. All the 'Game Performance' scores since 2013 (when BF4 came out) AND by the MANY MANY threads of complaints by AMD 6xxx owners on TH and other places, showed that it wasn't capable in performance for the 2013- newer titles. In fact I haven't even seen a 6xxx listed on any of the 2015-2016 titles, but I do see that NOW the 8xxx is about trailing with the new i3-6xxx.

You COULD wait for the new chipset from AMD to come out (eagerly waiting for it myself) that is supposed to mimic the Hyperthreading iCores do, so then it could compete. The norm since 2013 has been a i5-4xxx or newer CPU paired with any of these video cards to play "like I saw on youtube".

A fairly worthless website as is game-debate imo.
Even the developers recommended or minimum requirements nowadays are over the top when it comes to what is actually needed for 50-60fps which is eminently playable.

st3v30

Admirable
Omg I cant believe that my videos are here hehe (1st and 3rd).
FX 6300 and GTX 1060 works pretty well.On my channel you can see how it works in different games.So far Crysis 3 is the biggest problem rest are really good, even GTA 5 runs great.

luisperera89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Thank you all guys for the replies. I own a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P mobo, which i don't think i can get the best of the CPU for overclocking, but i can tweak a little bit with caution since i also have a CM Hyper 212 Evo. I'll go for the 1060 because it offers better performance over the 280. I haven't played any game yet that the 280 can't handle, but it's true i would get a lot more quality with the new gtx. Thanks again.