Is there any RX 480 or GTX 1060 that has Legacy Bios support?

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Any brand. I know There are r9 390x cards with legacy Bios support and those are up to par with RX 480s. Problem is my CX600m wont be enough for it, and I will have to spend extra money on a better quality PSU. Plus finding a 390x for around the same price of a RX 480 wouldnt be easy at all.
There has to be at least one last generation gpu that has legacy bios support, correct?:(

Solution
Rx 480 confirmed working on that Intel h67 board.
Found 2 or 3 reports of it, only issue - board needs updating to latest firmware s 159 or 160

Reference 6 pins have issues with pciex power draw.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I have read many posts at other forums, and it seems the msi gtx 980 gaming 4g is compatible with legacy bios. I have been to the msi website but theres nothing about uefi or legacy bios specs.
Anybody confirm?
I already opened a ticket with msi and asked them that question.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Well you obviously can benefit from a GPU like an RX 480. About the only motherboards I've ever heard of having issues were old Core 2 Duo HPs and Dells with a GTX 750 Ti. You might want to buy your GPU from a retailer with an easy return policy and just give it a go. From what I've read its not usually the legacy motherboard BIOS vs. UEFI GPU so much as its just an older motherboard with lack of BIOS updates from the PC manufacturer. Most of them are notorious for never releasing BIOS updates that would take care of incompatibility with new graphics cards.

InvalidError

Titan

The bulk of higher resolutions' burden with all other graphical options remaining unchanged rests solely on the GPU. If you disable vsync or have a high refresh rate monitor, lower resolutions put more workload on the CPU since the CPU now has more frames to setup for the GPU.

mlga91

Admirable

Aren't HP motherboards made by Foxconn? I remember upgrading an old motherboard with a 2400 on it, after the upgrade it was able to use a R7 370, there was no video before the upgrade.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Mine was made by pegatron.

Its alright. I already talked directly with many graphic card manufacturers, checked the specs of every gtx 980, gtx 1060/70, rx480, rx 390/390x with at least 5 manufacturers, and came to one conclusion. Either I get a used sapphire nitro r9 390x, that has legacy as well as UEFI bios support, and buy a better power supply, or I buy an h77 motherboard with a nice newer gpu, and deal with spending over $100 for windows 10. Buying the OS is the killer for me.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
DMI BIOS
vendor AMI
version 7.14
date 08/11/2011

DMI System Information
manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
product p7-1110
version 2.00

DMI Baseboard
vendor PEGATRON CORPORATION
model 2AC2
revision 2.00

Motherboard is IPISB-CU according to the hp website. There is nothing I can do man, I know. =/

Yep mate you're Sol i m afraid

Legacy BIOS support is not an issue , all nvidia cards have that , the RX series do not though but work on some boards OK still .

You quite simply need a new board mate to run any current or last gen GPU.

I'm not even seeing compatibly with the 390/x.
Numerous reports of 380's not working on it either.

Your cheap option is a cheap asrock h61 board with uefi support.

Not new but the amazon warehouse ones are normally open box & have rarely been actually used.

For $50 you get a no frills board that'll run any current GPU - not ideal but an option.

The chances are you'll be able to drop that board in without an os install because it is so similar to what you're currently using, if you're running win 10 then you may have to re authenticate windows through the automated service but they will 100% let you use it without purchasing windows again.

Win 7/8/8.1 its at ms discretion but if you state the reason for swap as a board failure there ia a 99.999999% chance you'll be able to re authenticate free.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Windows 10 does not freak out and require new key on a motherboard/processor change like older versions, have personally seen it be fine 3 times including the system I am on right now. Do not let that be the reason you're holding back.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I really doubt they will let me swap the mobo for free. They will check that I have changed also the psu, the cpu, the ram, and added a gpu. Too many hardware changes. I was planning in getting an H77 motherboard. H61 doesnt have sata 3, usb 3.0, nor pciex16 3.0. I found one on ebay from china, but Im reluctant to get it because .... it comes from china. Maybe its a knockoff that will only last me a few months before failing.

InvalidError

Titan

The PCIe lanes that go to the PCIe 3.0 slots on 6x/7x generation motherboards are powered by the CPU's PCIe host controller. A new motherboard won't give you PCIe 3.0 capability on a Sandy Bridge CPU which only supports PCIe 2.0, you will need an Ivy Bridge i5/i7 for that. The chipset lanes on 7x chipsets are still PCIe 2.0, you need to upgrade to Skylake/1xx series chipsets to get PCIe 3.0 from the PCH.

Windows 10 is now tied automatically to a ms user account ( create a ms login if you don't already have one) - assuming you are using win 10

That totally negates any problems with hardware changes regarding activation.

PCI express 2 vs 3 - no difference using a mid range card like the 480 or 1060 - you'll get the same performance.

USB 3 - valid point - an oddon card is like $20 at the end of the day though.

Sata 3 - valid but I'd argue unless you're using a very fast ssd , sata 2 is still a lot faster than you you'd think , traditional drives - no difference at all.

Just trying to give you a cheap reliable option with a h61 board direct from amazon.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I really wanna get an ssd like an evo 850 or 750, and to fully use their power I need sata 3. I decided to get a gtx 1070. I dont think using pci e x 16 2.0 will bottleneck the card in achieving 1080p/60fps max on all games with that cpu. Eventually I will change everything (mobo and cpu) and game at 1440p.
Still if I cant find an h77 mobo at a price of $65 max (used or better), Ill give the h61 a shot.
The one you linked me to at amazon is currently out of stock .... :/

Open the new & used section, amazon warehouse deals have some damaged packaging ones at $43.

Used-like new when buying from amazon direct generally means the item is new but is sold as used just because of the box . hence the fact you only save $4 over new price.

An ssd is still worth using on sata 2 mate.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-upgrade-sata-3gbps,review-32673.html

I use one myself on 3 machines with sata 2 ,& also none one a sata 3 machine.

While synthetic benchmarks tell one tale , in real world use you won't actually tell a difference.
With uefi bios you still get the instaboot feature on win 10.
Its still a monstrous improvement over a traditional drive.

InvalidError

Titan

You don't.

The peak bandwidth of an SSD is only achievable on sequential transfers with deep queue depths. In typical desktop use, you will only see that benefit when copying large files on a fresh SSD.

Where the bulk of SSD's benefit on the desktop lies is the much faster access speed: 0.1ms vs ~10ms, about 100X faster than HDDs. That's what you need for launching applications or booting an OS which consist of hundreds of 1KB-10MB files and countless random accesses within those files. You will get that benefit even on SATA1.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-Board-Micro-ATX-Factor/dp/B004Q7JRJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1474779984&sr=1-1&keywords=h67

What about that one? Its an intel H67 motherboard, with sata 6gb, and usb 3.0. Around $60 after everything, and comes with the I/O plate. Hopefully it will have UEFI bios support, because thats the whole point at the end.

EDIT: I really doubt it supports UEFI :(

TRENDING THREADS