i5-6500 (or any other equivalent) vs. FX-8350

Rafflez

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello guys. I'm building a PC mostly for gaming (Withcer 3,Deus Ex, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Dota2, and some other new gen games), but also used for Video/Photo Editing (sometimes).
I'm stucked between these processors: i5-6500 with DDR4 (or any 5th i5/i7 equivalent) and FX-8350.
I'm planning to use a GTX 1060 and play in 1080p with "stable" 60 fps. (Don't give a damn about 4k).

What CPU is the best the option for me? (And why). Which one will bottle neck less?
My budget: R$ 5000 / something like 1,200 - 1,500 $. (Don't know how poor is this budget...)
I also use a lot of secundary programs while I'm gaming/ editing. (Don't know if this will help)
Hope you guys can help me to decide.
Sorry for the bad english...

Solution
The i5 6500 is easily the better choice. Its cores are close to twice as fast as the FX's, so in single-threaded tasks it's nearly twice as fast, and they're close to equal in multithreaded tasks despite the FX having twice as many cores. The i5 is on a socket that will receive at least 2 more generations of CPUs, whereas the FX's socket hasn't received a new design since 2012, and never will. The i5 uses DDR4, which is already as cheap as DDR3, and as production of the older DDR3 drops in the future, prices and availability will be better. The i5 uses half the power of the FX (or less), supports instruction sets the FX does not, and has a chipset with much more modern connectivity options, such as USB 3.1, PCIe 3.0, M.2 and SATA Express.
The i5 6500 is easily the better choice. Its cores are close to twice as fast as the FX's, so in single-threaded tasks it's nearly twice as fast, and they're close to equal in multithreaded tasks despite the FX having twice as many cores. The i5 is on a socket that will receive at least 2 more generations of CPUs, whereas the FX's socket hasn't received a new design since 2012, and never will. The i5 uses DDR4, which is already as cheap as DDR3, and as production of the older DDR3 drops in the future, prices and availability will be better. The i5 uses half the power of the FX (or less), supports instruction sets the FX does not, and has a chipset with much more modern connectivity options, such as USB 3.1, PCIe 3.0, M.2 and SATA Express.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS