HP 8610 Printer carriage stuck

wp7456

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
My HP 8610 printer carriage is stuck in place. It began when HP updated the firmware thus breaking all of the off-brand printer cartridges in an attempt to force you to buy theirs. The carriage worked for a while (it automatically pulls to the left so you can access the cartridges when you open the front)... but then it stopped working. I uninstalled and re-installed the software but now I am stuck on one screen on the printer that says "Cartridge Problem" and it won't let me go anywhere else in the menu. I have pulled the power cord for 60 seconds+ and nothing seems to work.

I need to figure out how to open up the printer to manually move the carriage so I can install the new cartridges or I need to get the software working again. Any tips?

Solution
Can you do a reset via the printer's menus?

Something like this:

Press the "Go Back" arrow button five times.
Press Support Menu
Press the > button to find the "Reset" Menu
Press the > button to find Semi-Full Reset

Using the printer menu may do more than just the 60 second power off process. Basically unplugging the printer just represents a power outage. Normally pressing and holding some other button at the same time is required to make the unplug to reset procedure work.

Check your printer manual to fnd the applicable reset process.

Ralston18

Titan
Can you do a reset via the printer's menus?

Something like this:

Press the "Go Back" arrow button five times.
Press Support Menu
Press the > button to find the "Reset" Menu
Press the > button to find Semi-Full Reset

Using the printer menu may do more than just the 60 second power off process. Basically unplugging the printer just represents a power outage. Normally pressing and holding some other button at the same time is required to make the unplug to reset procedure work.

Check your printer manual to fnd the applicable reset process.

Solution