Dell Precision T1600 Help!!

Nandan22

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Hey Guys,

I have a Dell Precision T1600 which has the following specs: Intel Xeon E3-1225 with 4GB of ram and 250GB HDD. The current power supply has 265W 65% Efficiency made by Dell. The question is I have a graphics card (Radeon HD 7850 1GB)lying around and it requires 500 watts or greater. Do I really need to buy 500w power supply or can use less than the recommended power requirement? The budget is up to £40.00

Lutfij

Titan
1| Yes you will need that new PSU. Read more of it here. You could get by with a 450W unit but that would be cutting it quite close.
2| Since Dell, HP, Fujitsu, Lenovo and other prebuilt makers tend to bundle proprietary hardware into their builds, to prevent users from tampering with their builds, I'd ask you you to inspect your motherboard and see if any connection looks out of the ordinary(proprietary). If it does have one or more, then you're limited to using what you have since off the shelf retail PSU's will not have the aforementioned proprietary connector.
3| You may also want to consider not dropping that GPU in since the system will bottleneck the GPU by a good margin.

If you are certain your system does not have any proprietary connections on your motherboard, then you can try and look at a good, reliable, branded unit once you've sourced one close to Tier 1. I'm afraid 40 quid won't net you a good unit, more like expensive paper weight.

If this is your motherboard
dell-precision-t1600-work-station-system-motherboard-6nwyk-6fa7a5aa333fa6fd2893e64354485de0.jpg

then you can shoot for this unit by EVGA. It will last you a god while.