RX 470 Crossfire Problem

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
I have 2 identical Sapphire RX 470 Nitro 8GB and i cant crossfire them.Im using an Asus Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 motherboard.Really need help because im stuck over few days searching for answers.Thanks

Solution
Have you reinstalled OS? I can tell you, that when you finish reinstalling of Win7, you still will have one of the adapters displayed with exclamation mark in device manager (code 10, device cannot start), but the drivers for videocards can be installed without any issues (i mean blank screen or bsod).
I will try today to install win10 x64 again to see if this is a OS issue or a faulty amd drivers issue.

Edit. I have successfully installed Win10 x64 and drivers on both videocards. They`re working in CF, no issues for me. So, i guess it was an OS issue for me.

PS Both times i used latest non-beta drivers downloaded from amd site. It was a 16.9.2 drivers from sept 22...

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hello, Himera!
I`ve just registered to say, that i have exactly the same issue. I have two Sapphire RX470 Nitro 4GB videocards and my mobo is Asus Sabertooth Z77. I can`t crossfire them too. Tried different drivers, checked both adapters individually (they`re working good). No result, No matter what i`ve tried, i can`t install driver for second adapter.
My previous setup working well (two Asus HD7950Top V2 cards).

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

Yep same here my previous setup works good.

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Himera, most weird thing is that not only previous cards working good (which indicates, that both pci-e slots are ok), but any of new videocards alone working without issues too, if they`re not using together. I think it`s a driver issue, because every crimson driver from latest three ones can`t be installed correctly even with only card installed without cleaning system with display driver uninstaller.
If i try to install driver without using display driver uninstaller first, my display goes blank as soon as setup is trying to install display driver. So i need to restart pc every time.

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

When you have both RX 470 installed in mobo they are displayed both in device manager/display adapters?
Mine shows only one RX 470,and when i change to previous setup (2 HD 7900 series) they are both displayed and works fine in Crossfire.

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Himera, well it is 50/50. Sometimes it shows two videocards, sometimes i see only one rx470 adapter. Another one shows something like basic display adapter in device manager or something like this.
PS Here is another case of our problem:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1611766/second-rx-480-not-showing-up-cant-cf
It is the same issue, but this time with two reference rx480 from Gigabyte.

Tommorow i will try to put my two rx470 to another MB (MSI Z87-GD-65 Gaming). I will post result here.

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Ok, i have some update. I still didn`t test rx470 cards in another PC, but i decided to check second (lower) pci-e slot for a fault. So i installed one of the cards into it and plugged the hdmi cable and... Voila, i have a picture and i was able to install driver for a card and run some games, so slot is working just fine.
So what do we have:
1. Both videocards working separately;
2. Both pci-e slots working w/o issues;
3. We have a problems with different mobo chipsets, different cpu`s and different GPU`s;
4. The only same thing is that we are using RX4XX family and trying use CF.

So i believe it is a driver/os issue.

Important: i also find out, that windows has troubles with installing even simple display drivers for second card. Here is a pic:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/77fc41506283622

Second card always has exclamation mark and if i open properties i will see this message:
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter."

If i try to install drivers for this videocard, i always get a BSOD with something related to atikmpag.sys.

Edit. Tested both rx470 cards on another PC: win10 x64 enterprise, 16gb ram, i7-4770k, msi-z87-gd65. Result absolutely the same: second adapter has exclamation mark in device manager with "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter."

I dunno what to do really((

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hey ALPO your research was great.Dont have yet a solution but i tried myself with a single RX470 card in second PCI slot and same as you:i have image,i can play ,etc.Only thing that says its when i try to open radeon settings its that i have no drivers installed.When i load my old card in second PCI slot same thing only that i can open Radeon settings and play in menu like im in first PCI slot.So like you i guess this bridgeless crossfire/xdma crossfire its messy or the RX 470 drivers are like hell.

Still looking for answers,and if not have one i will return both RX 470 cards to the vendor next week.

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Himera69, well i still search for answers and i think, that it could be Win10 issue too (because of this exclamation mark for one of adapters in device manager). Anyway, i`ve created posts on official amd forum and leave a ticket at Sapphire support site. I still hope, that i can use these two beauties together (despite i already started to think, that i should`ve bought one gtx 1070 adapter).
PS It is my fourth CF setup (i even had quadfire one time), and i seriously never thought it will give such many troubles((

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Ok, i`ll report if i receive some good feedback. Meanwhile, googling through the reddit i find out, that amd has really LOTS of issues with RX4XX series: black screens, artifacts, freezes etc. Not the best start, tbh.

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
That freezes,crashes,etc at RX series happends when switch the card in the OC bios(you know that you have that little button near led button that switch bios).

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

That red button yes only logo,but under that button you have a little one.That is the Bios switcher

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
cant find ur post Alpo "Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here. ''

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
So, after many tries i was able to fix this issue with videocards by installing win7 x64. It seems, that mine win10 x64 has some errors in registry or something like this.

PS I`ve got almost 24000 in 3d mark firestrike 1080p test. So, i`m happy now))

alpo84

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Have you reinstalled OS? I can tell you, that when you finish reinstalling of Win7, you still will have one of the adapters displayed with exclamation mark in device manager (code 10, device cannot start), but the drivers for videocards can be installed without any issues (i mean blank screen or bsod).
I will try today to install win10 x64 again to see if this is a OS issue or a faulty amd drivers issue.

Edit. I have successfully installed Win10 x64 and drivers on both videocards. They`re working in CF, no issues for me. So, i guess it was an OS issue for me.

PS Both times i used latest non-beta drivers downloaded from amd site. It was a 16.9.2 drivers from sept 22.

Solution

Excellion

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I might have a similar problem to you guys. I have an Rx 470 and a r7 370 in my system, and have the same problem where i get the exclamation point in device manager for rx 470 when i have them both, but seperately they both work fine. Have tried the Rx 470 with an nvidia gtx 660 card and it worked just fine. As soon as i introduce another amd card to the system the 470 just stopps working. Must be an os/driver problem in win10 for the 470 :(

Himera69

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Its done.I managed to crossfire them.Damn drivers.WAS THEIRS FAULT.Ddu the AMD drivers with one VGA in SECOND pci-e.Restart.Windows finnaly recognized the VGA in second pci-e slot.Instal second VGA in FIRST pci-e slot.Restart.Windows recognized both VGAs.Install AMD drivers.Restart.And voila.2xRX 470 crossfired.THx for help Alpo.

I dont reinstall OS.Still running old but damn good WIn 7 ulimate x64.