Which 1070 to choose?

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Have an old 660 but I really just want power now.

Too many brands and then versions of the 1070. I've been out of the game for far too long and I'm kinda lost now.

Any help would be lovely.

Solution
lol, try creating and maintaining that list :)

they are still adding models day by day and it can be hard to catch them all as they show up.

so long as you avoit the founder's edition cards, you're good to go. they are the only ones that really do run hotter and louder but then the reference design is never the best one by a long shot. cheapest card left stock out of the box may only lose 5-6 fps over the most expensive one overclocked to the max. that's what boost 3.0 does for the cards.

enjoy whatever one you decide on. do note, however, the various pcie power needs for the cards. they go from a single 8-pin to 2 x 8-pin and in between. be sure your psu can power the card you pick.

manddy123

Admirable
All of the third-parties GPUs are almost the same speed, the main difference between them is the material they're made with, number of coolers and already overclocked or not.

So, the difference in FPS in any of them won't be much. Something like 1 or 3, because all of them use the same design made from NVIDIA.

Another thing, it depends on your budget, if you're short one cash, grab the one that's cheaper where you live.
If you can afford a more expensive one, the ASUS STRIX, Gigabyte Gaming and the MSI Gaming OC are all great choices!

Kakarot07

Reputable
Sep 20, 2016

Is EVGA any good ?

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I've used them almost exclusively for the last couple years in the builds I've done for myself and friends. Their upgrade program is really what sold me since you never know when some design improvement comes out just a month or so after you buy into your new card.

manddy123

Admirable

Didn't read enough about their version of the 1070 to say for sure. I'd say yes tho, i had a GT730 from them once and never had a single problem. If you can't find one of those three above, i believe the EVGA one is a safe choice. You can check some reviews of it to take your own conclusion too.

Currently using a MSI GTX 1060, works like a charm also.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
for a list of all the 1070 cards available along with specs and reviews where available see this thread. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902599

having read way too many reviews to count, i can say that not a single card outperformed the others. the "best" card is the one the looks good to you and is priced right. does not matter what the clock speeds are out of the box, boost 3.0 will take it further for all the cards. most cards boost to 2 ghz no matter which one it is.

grab the cheapest, best looking one to you and sleep well knowing it is as good as the others :)

+refmon If I were buying a GTX 1070, I'd opt for the card below. Would you mind listing your resolution and refresh rate? Also, what are your full specs, including your power supply's manufacturer and model #? If you case is very tight, you should be aware that the MSI cards are somewhat taller than other brands; EVGA for instance.

MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X
$449.95 ($429.95 after $20.00 rebate card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127947&ignorebbr=1

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's a solid card but i like the dt version of that card. same everything as ftw but clocked at stock speeds out of the box. quick oc and it's running ftw speeds at a decent savings. the gigabyte g1 is a solid card and is on the lower end of the pricing. seems like the better quality vs price card.

+1 for gigabyte here. it has a more solid cooler solution than asus strix imho.

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

I'm at 1080 and 60hz but I plan to upgrade and bump up the resolution sometime next year. This is my current psu http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/pro-series/pro-series-550w-psu-p1-550s-xxb9

Size shouldn't be a problem since I have a big cooler master haf 922

CPU is Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz and my motherboard is gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Sweet jesus, that's a lot of cards.

I don't mind at all how the card itself looks so I guess I'll just look for cheapest if they really all do preform at nearly the same level.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lol, try creating and maintaining that list :)

they are still adding models day by day and it can be hard to catch them all as they show up.

so long as you avoit the founder's edition cards, you're good to go. they are the only ones that really do run hotter and louder but then the reference design is never the best one by a long shot. cheapest card left stock out of the box may only lose 5-6 fps over the most expensive one overclocked to the max. that's what boost 3.0 does for the cards.

enjoy whatever one you decide on. do note, however, the various pcie power needs for the cards. they go from a single 8-pin to 2 x 8-pin and in between. be sure your psu can power the card you pick.

Solution