Rx 470 reaching 75 degree celsius without gaming

AakSinInd

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I recently bought a rx 470(Sapphire Nitro OC edition) for building a new PC. I am a complete noob to PC building and thought my GPU was pretty hot. so i checked the temperature using GPU-Z and saw that the temperature was 75 degree celsius. This is not the temperature recorded while gaming,it's just the temp while normal browsing. I havent played any games on it yet, so while gaming wold the GPU hit 90. I am quite worried and is this harming my system in any way. can i reduce the temperature?I havent overclocked it

Solution

The rx470 is supposed to be cooler card compared to rx480.Could you check in gpu z if the GPU is under load or not during normal session(There are many virus which can utilize GPU).My nitro rx 480 at normal load stays...

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016

The rx470 is supposed to be cooler card compared to rx480.Could you check in gpu z if the GPU is under load or not during normal session(There are many virus which can utilize GPU).My nitro rx 480 at normal load stays at 49-55 c.

Solution

Do you have enough airflow in the case to exhaust the hot air coming off the card? The only other two options are bad thermal paste and some process using the gpu that you're not aware of.

AakSinInd

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

the situation has improved but i sthis normal- at 24% GPU Load the temperature is 48 degree celsius