i5 6600 vs 6600k for Gaming + Other Questions for my Build

Iacob_Emanuel

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
I know there are a lot of threads out there that ask the same thing,but I just wanted to ask the question myself.I do not know if it is worth getting the 6600k or the 6600,I do not intend to overclock nor have I read that overclocking the CPU brings much performance these days.Paying extra for the things needed for the 6600k holds me back a little and I just want to know if in the long run it is worth getting an overclockable CPU.

Also,could someone give a rating on the builld I am willing to get? (6600 non K version)
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600 3.3 GHz
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX Gaming O8G
RAM: HyperX Fury 16 GB DDR4 2133 MHz
Motherboard: ASUS H170 PRO GAMING
Case: NZXT H440 New Edition
PSU: Super Flower Leadex 80+ Silver 650W
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Monitor: LG 25UM58-P Ultra Wide 25 inch.
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E (The distance between where my PC would be and the router is medium,as in 15 meters,and I would like to know if it is enough for that)
(and other peripherals)

Regarding the build,I have two questions:
1.Should I settle for the 6600 non K version,is getting an aftermarket cooler worth it? If yes,air or water? (I have a budget of 60 dollars for that,and I would choose between the CM Hyper 212 Evo(air) or ID-Cooling Frostflow 120 (difference of 10 dollars of so in my country))
2.I'm not really decided if I should get an ultra wide monitor or a normal monitor,I could also use it for school and multi tasking would be a nice addition,but I am fine without that.The non-ultrawide option is another LG Monitor 24MP68VQ-P 23.8 inch.I would also like to point out that they have really simillar performances,the only differences being the resolution and refresh rate(60 vs 75 hz)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this post,this is the first PC that I buy piece by piece and I wouldn't really like to screw up :)

Solution

IMO yes, better acoustics, better looks and similar temps, the H7 is a couple of degress better I think.

but if EUR-10- will affect the purchase of other components, then no.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Yes settling for the regular 6600 frees up money that you can spend in other areas. I like the build you have there. Really you could go for a cheaper H170 motherboard. That one is overpriced. You could also probably save money on a cheaper Super Flower psu. 550w is plenty.

I love 21:9 monitors

Dikyashi

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
Right now you dont need to Overclock.It will be usefull after 4-5 years when the cpu really show its sign of aging
Also if you get the k version CPU you need to change your mobo to z170 as only the z170 allows overclock of cpu.Ultra wide monitors are good for editing purpose like in Photoshop but i have to say that ultra wide monitor might have resolution issue when gaming .Also LG Monitor 24MP68VQ-P(i have the same monitor) works best with an AMD GPU as free sync is supported in that monitor and that you can only enjoy that 75hz when its connected to AMD GPU or else it will work on 60hz.

Iacob_Emanuel

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Thanks for answering so quickly! I will wait for what other people have to say,but I highly agree with you.The mobo I chose it for its looks and the price doesn't bother me much (30 dollars difference if I want to buy the cheapest one in my country) so I don't know if I would like to change it.But,if you have a sugestion,please leave it here :D

Iacob_Emanuel

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016

Thanks for clearing the monitor refresh rate thing up.I'm also afraid not all games would support the 2560x1080 resolution.
I think I would go with the non K CPU.In 4-5 years I will likely buy a new one.Thanks for that :)

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
So im in a similar situation : Similar build to his : but my question remmains : should i overclock the i5 6600k ? I can either remain with a i5 6500 , but i dont want to make any upgrade sooner that 4-5 years . Currently , oc it isnt very worth , but will it make bigger differences in the future ? Eve though i wont probably buy a hdd cause i dont have the money to buy one yet if i decide to oc , i will have 275gb from my crucial mx300 , so getting a hdd 1tb later isnt that hard . But still : worth ocing IN THE FUTURE , or not ? I've seen that ocing a old cpu like a pentium does make a big difference

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I'd go the 6600K and a Z170 mobo in both cases. If building new, might as well get something that will last a few years. Non-K CPUs seem to keep people happy for up to a couple of years then people are wanting more, with the K it's sitting there waiting.

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Yeah thats what i will do , i will go with the overclockable i5 6600k + hyper 212 evo cooler + GIGABYTE Z170-GAMING K3 . Should I buy the gigabyte z170-hd3 ? or that k3 is good ? Can i reach 4.5 ghz with it ?

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
I think I will buy a i7-6700k though , as i have just realised that i can order from another country (i have friends there) where prices are cheaper , and they will send me the parts . I think i will just go for the i7-6700k as , even if its a little bit too much for a gamer (i dont too youtube) , being octa-core will sure help it in the future . And who knows , maybe ill start youtube too if i buy this rig . I should be able to oc the i7 6700k , right ?

frank_hnd

Honorable

don't get the evo, they are pretty filmsy, loud and hard to install.
you should get a Cryorig H7 instead.

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
144 hz monitor and i want to keep this build for 4-5 years without changing anything so ill oc in the future . The cryorig h7 although good , I cant fking find it in europe :(

frank_hnd

Honorable

IMO yes, better acoustics, better looks and similar temps, the H7 is a couple of degress better I think.

but if EUR-10- will affect the purchase of other components, then no.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS