970 to 1060?

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
I am looking into upgrading my graphics card but i dont quite have the $ required to get a 1070/80. I currently have a 970 and i heard that the 1060 is about 15-20% better. What do you guys think?

Solution
Big known performance issues at the minute mate.
& yes it does perform pretty crappy on a 970.
Somewhere between medium & high I'm hitting 45fps average.
Msaa takes a massive toll & pushes vram usage up to 5gb.
Disable it, use fxaa instead - it does look worse at times but pushes another 10-15fps & lowers vram usage considerably.
The popin of trees etc is a constant - no such issue on the Xbox one version.
Think this maybe down to Microsoft's enforced DRM which does 256bit decryption on the fly.
Pushes heavy disk & CPU usage on the primary core.
The Xbox one version performs & looks better IMO which is somewhat of a first.
There's a survey here that a lot of people have took part in showing performance on different system configs...

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
tbh im just a 16 year old with a part time job looking for an upgrade that will last me a couple years. Right now i have about 150$ and i need 440 ish (CAD)

youll get $200 cad or thereabouts fo your 970 if you're lucky.
That still leaves you $100+ short

As RCFProd says ,for the time being Id be happy with what you have ,the 970 is still a great card imo i fyou already own it.

While the new midrangers from both AMD & Nvidia (RX 480/gtx 1060) are excellent first buys for a new build system theyre not worthwhile upgrades from a card as good as the 970.
Id want 30-40% minimum performance increase to make it worthwhile personally.
I own 2 systems with 970's in myself,Im in no immediate rush to upgrade even though I could easily afford to buy a pair of 1070's.
For one theyre still inordinately expensive & secondly theyre honestly overkill for my needs at 1060p 60 htz.

lifespill

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
Just wait another 1-2 years and even then the 970 will hold decently with many games at 1080p,in conclusion only 1070-1080 are real upgrades,if there's a game that 970 cant play it then the 1060 3-6gb cant play it either.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015

Sorry i fell asleep. Because a new forza game came out which is an open world racing game if you didnt know. And i have been waiting to play it for months, it came out yesterday and my memory is getting maxed out. So i figure if i just buy a 1060 i'll have more then enough memory to play.

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
Not worth the upgrade under any circumstances other than your current card straight up dying. Keep saving your money, wait until you can afford a 1070 at the very least. Maybe even wait for the 1xxx prices to drop. You want the investment to pay off with a substantial performance increase, and the difference between a 970 and a 1060 is essentially the difference between a 970 and a 980 AT BEST. If you want those extra few frames per second at the cost of $400CAD, then that's your choice. But I think most of us would agree that the small difference in framerate does not justify the extra dough you'll have to fork.

I've read that the GTX 1060 is equivalent to an overclocked GTX 970 or a stock clock GTX 980. With this in mind, I don't think the upgrade is worth it. I would suggest possibly continuing to save for at least a GTX 1070; approximately twice the performance of a GTX 970 @ 1080p resolution. The other option is that you could use your saved funds to upgrade other components of your rig. Feel free to list your system components, in addition to your power supply manufacturer and model #. Up to you.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015

16GB Ram
I5-4690k @4 Ghz
970 Windforce.
Msi gaming 6 mobo
I dont remember the details for my PSU but it is 550 W which is enough.

Seems like a decent rig. I especially like the 16 GB of RAM. I still probably wouldn't bother upgrading from a GTX 970 to a 1060 but if you were determined to proceed with that upgrade, you could sell your 970 on Ebay to use the proceeds toward the 1060.

Another possibility is that you could use the money you have saved to upgrade your hard drive to a SSD. I personally like the Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB. But ultimately it's your money. If you want to upgrade to the 1060 then proceed. There is nothing wrong with upgrading simply because you just want to.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015

Like i said i can see where you are all coming from, my problem is i literally don't have enough memory to play this new game that came out so im kind of inbetween a rock and a hard place. Thanks for the feedback

I take it you upaid for the ultimate edition if you have it already??

I only preorded the standard so cant play it on pc yet :-/
If it doesnt play well on my 970 Ill just play it on the xbox one instead ( the benefits of multi buy titles)

They should have released a windows demo version the same time as the xbone version imo.

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
The new Forza uses more than 3.5GB of VRAM? That's insane. Does it not have video options? You could probably bring the game down to your current VRAM "limitations" by lowering texture quality, shadow resolution, reflection quality... anything that affects the resolution of images being drawn by the engine.

I find it hard to believe the new Forza can't possibly run on a 970, there has to be something you can do to run it on the 2nd fastest mid-range card on the market. If you have absolutely no other options and you're absolutely dying to play the new Forza, then... well, I guess you could get the 1060? Just seems like an unnecessary amount of money to spend for one game. I'd rather save that money, either for the sake of saving or for an even better card in the future that will actually return its investment in other titles, not just 1.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015

Yeah it runs terrible. Im at medium ish and my gpu usage is hitting 99%

Big known performance issues at the minute mate.
& yes it does perform pretty crappy on a 970.
Somewhere between medium & high I'm hitting 45fps average.
Msaa takes a massive toll & pushes vram usage up to 5gb.
Disable it, use fxaa instead - it does look worse at times but pushes another 10-15fps & lowers vram usage considerably.
The popin of trees etc is a constant - no such issue on the Xbox one version.
Think this maybe down to Microsoft's enforced DRM which does 256bit decryption on the fly.
Pushes heavy disk & CPU usage on the primary core.
The Xbox one version performs & looks better IMO which is somewhat of a first.
There's a survey here that a lot of people have took part in showing performance on different system configs.
http://

Solution

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

Personal opinion.

Also, game is not performing that badly for everyone. Some who have it installed on the HDD, instead of the SSD, appear to have no issues.