i5-6500 Overheating (~100 Celsius)

kylecb

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
Brand new computer (which I built - first time building one from scratch), as of about a week ago. From day one it has been crashing while playing games, and even sometimes doing basic tasks like YouTube, etc.

My build in case it's useful: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Xx6gBP

I downloaded HWMonitor and realized that my CPU is reaching 100 Celsius even from basic tasks like a file search. Obviously it should not be reaching above even 80 Celsius.

I am using the stock CPU cooler which came with the i5-6500. I know this is not a great cooler (I will buy a better one), but obviously the CPU should not be reaching those temperatures even with the bad stock cooler. So (correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't seem to be solely due to having a bad cooler.

I am pretty new to this, so I may have made a noob mistake. Here are my guesses of a few possible issues:
-I used the thermal paste that was already attached to the fan as it came in the box (did not add any extra).
-Maybe I plugged the fan into the wrong slot (plugged into SYS_FAN), so it is not operating correctly?
-Maybe a PSU issue? Like sending too much power to the CPU?
-Or simply a defect with the CPU?

Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Solution
It's most likely that you did not seat the retention "clips" correctly into the motherboard and the heatsink isn't making good contact. As long as the fan is spinning and it's firmly attached to the CPU, you shouldn't be idling above maybe 30-45c.
It's most likely that you did not seat the retention "clips" correctly into the motherboard and the heatsink isn't making good contact. As long as the fan is spinning and it's firmly attached to the CPU, you shouldn't be idling above maybe 30-45c.

Solution

kylecb

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
The temperature does drop to a reasonable level while idling (35-40s range). However once I do anything (even a file search), it rapidly climbs, reaching up to 100 degrees C.

I will re-seat the fan and test. Thank you for the feedback!

kylecb

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
Thanks to both of you...I've been troubleshooting for the last week+, so I really appreciate it!
I actually just bought a Cooler Master 212 EVO (wanted to get a better cooler anyway), so I will install that and let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.

kylecb

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
Fixed! Thanks so much to both of you for the help - you saved me so much confusion and troubleshooting.

I got a Cooler Master 212 EVO, and now the processor is running at really great temps, so I am super happy.