i7 6700 for future games

Solution
By the time future that can make full use of the i7-6700 become common, you will probably be able to buy a much faster i3 than an i7-6700(k).

Many people are still using i5-2500 or other Sandy Bridge chips in their gaming PCs today and have no reasons to upgrade other than updated IOs or an impulsive upgrade itch.

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016

Probably. Assuming you take good care of it, hook it up with a good cooler (Hyper 212 EVO at the very least), run it at safe voltages and frequencies, replace the thermal compound every year or so, keep the heatsink dust-free, don't subject it to a ton of mechanical stress, and keep the motherboard in good shape, it's not unreasonable to expect the chip to last you over 5 years. Games will most likely start to outpace the CPU by the end of that run, though.

I'd suggest getting something like a 6600 or even a 6500 to save some money if you're going to be gaming. That'll give you financial room to upgrade in the nearer future. The 6600 performs almost identically to the 6700 in gaming for $90-$100 less, and the 6500 isn't too far behind for an additional $15-$20 of savings.

InvalidError

Titan
By the time future that can make full use of the i7-6700 become common, you will probably be able to buy a much faster i3 than an i7-6700(k).

Many people are still using i5-2500 or other Sandy Bridge chips in their gaming PCs today and have no reasons to upgrade other than updated IOs or an impulsive upgrade itch.

Solution