I5-6500 with DDR3 1.5v

Danny_91

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Currently pulling my hair out.
Just purchased an I5-6500 and B150 plus 3 MOBO as these are compatible with my DDR3 memory which is Kingston Fury HyperX 2x4gb CL10 however doesnt look like my CPU supports the 1.5v DDR3.. Is this the case as I have seen some threads on various forums saying it is fine. But have been advised from a couple of gentlemen on here it is'nt.

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I'm using DD3L on a 6600K without any problem.

The 6500 like the 6600K support the DDRL at 1.35v but no the normal DDR3 at 1.5v.
As the voltage regulator is inside the CPU die and not on the MB you could use the DDR3 at 1.5v (i've also run my MB some days at 1.5v) but on the long term you are risking the CPU because you are asking more power than the maximun allowed.

If you cant return your MB to change it for a DDR4 version and purchase new memory you have two options:
- Run the DDR3 memory at 1.5v (i would try to undervolt the memory as close as i could to 1.35v even by lowering the clocks) and risk long term damage on teh CPU voltage regulator.
- Purchase DDR3L memory to run at 1.35v

You can eliminate the last option, all LGA 1151 CPUs are DDR4 and DDR3L only. You really should have just gone with the older LGA 1150 platform if you really needed to keep your old RAM. I'd say return the board and get one with DDR4 compatibility and replace the RAM with DDR4. Your only other options are to either risk burning out the CPU's memory controller and run your RAM as is, underclock your RAM and dial the voltage back to 1.35V, or buy DDR3L sticks.

Danny_91

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

How would I under clock my ram? I'm assuming there is a program to do so as that is my best option as I have blown my budget tbh.

No program, you would set it lower in BIOS. E.g. rather than "DDR3 1600" you might instead select "DDR3 1333", and then lower the voltage and see if it's unstable.

Be aware that running your RAM this slow may have a major impact on your CPU's performance. Skylake shows performance scaling above @ DDR4 3200mhz.

Those might be the clockspeeds before doubling it (DDR = double data rate). 800mhz in BIOS probably equates to 1600mhz.

Chances are pretty good you won't be able to select anything lower than 667mhz (1333mhz) with your Skylake CPU, and it may not even go that low. I'd try undervolting with 667mhz selected though, and see how low you can go before it fails a memory test (e.g. memtest86) or until you get system instability.

amtseung

Distinguished
DDR3L is rather quite hard to find, and DDR4 is dropping in price every day. You're best off just getting a new set of DDR4, and selling your DDR3 sticks on craigslist or something. I doubt you'd be able to boot into bios to underclock your current ram, and even if you could, DDR3 run under 1.4V is about as good as dead, let alone 1.3V. You're tripping overcurrent protection in your CPU's internal memory controller chip every time you try to boot, which is why it's not working.

Danny_91

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I don't have my new mobo and cpu fitted, they are still in the boxes. I am just trying to cover every avenue, as said genuinely can't afford replacing the mobo and upgrading to ddr4 hence why I am trying to under clock. I have managed to select 667mhz and 1.35v. Currently running Windows memory diagnostics to see what it says. Then if all well I'll go ahead with my new mobo and cpu.