Solved

FX-8320 is 3.5GHz, but what does it mean by 4.0GHz turbo? Can I go to 4.0GHz with stock cooler?

Question is as title states. Like when I go on Newegg or anywhere, the title is: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo). What does it mean by Turbo? Can I get there with stock cooling?
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8320 5ghz 0ghz turbo 0ghz stock cooler
  1. Best answer
    Turbo is sort of like a factory overclock. If temperature allows it, the CPU will boost itself from 3.5GHz to 4.0GHz in high load conditions.
  2. iyzik said:
    Turbo is sort of like a factory overclock. If temperature allows it, the CPU will boost itself from 3.5GHz to 4.0GHz in high load conditions.

So it does it automatically? Is there a setting in BIOS? Also, how do I know when that happens?
  3. A stock cooler allows for the processor to turbo. How iyzik described it is correct. It is automatic, you can disable it in the BIOS if you want to but normally it is enabled automatically. As for how you know its working, use any monitoring software like CPU-Z to monitor your processor speed, you will see it max out at 4ghz.

As for manually overclocking the processor should not be running full time at 4ghz or more on a stock cooler. For that you would need aftermarket.
  4. Rogue Leader said:
    A stock cooler allows for the processor to turbo. How iyzik described it is correct.

As for manually overclocking the processor should not be running full time at 4ghz or more on a stock cooler.

So I should get a CPU cooler (Evo 212?) to overclock at 4GHz or 4.2GHz?
  5. Yes it does it automatically. You won't know when it happens unless you have a program to monitor your CPU clock speed like OpenHardware Monitor or MSI Afterburner.
  6. AMDSY3D said:
    Rogue Leader said:
    A stock cooler allows for the processor to turbo. How iyzik described it is correct.

As for manually overclocking the processor should not be running full time at 4ghz or more on a stock cooler.

Yes, do not overclock on a stock cooler. The CRYORIG H7 is your best bet, better than the EVO 212. However what motherboard are you using?
  7. It will hit 4 GHz when a SINGLE core is loaded up (a single thread is demanding performance). When 4+ are loaded up, I believe it turbos to 3.7.

Depends on the silicon lottery, but some FX-8320's are excellent overclockers with a good motherboard and good cooling solution. 4.5 GHz is not uncommon with a small voltage bump.
  8. Wait, didn't FX8300 series are also bundled with Wraith cooler now? Those thing are serious stuff. I've seen it. It can even tolerate and sustain OC up to some point.
  9. rush21hit said:
    Wait, didn't FX8300 series are also bundled with Wraith cooler now? Those thing are serious stuff. I've seen it. It can even tolerate and sustain OC up to some point.

I think only 6350, 8350, 8370.
  10. dudeman509 said:
    rush21hit said:
    Wait, didn't FX8300 series are also bundled with Wraith cooler now? Those thing are serious stuff. I've seen it. It can even tolerate and sustain OC up to some point.

I think only 6350, 8350, 8370.

Yeah it only just came out recently as well. Its unlikely he has it. And I don't know that I would overclock with it much anyway. Its not a tower cooler but downdraft style, not really conducive to overclocking. Its just a really good stock cooler.
  11. Rogue Leader said:
    AMDSY3D said:
    Rogue Leader said:

Yes, do not overclock on a stock cooler. The CRYORIG H7 is your best bet, better than the EVO 212. However what motherboard are you using?

ASRock 970 Extreme 3 R.20. I made this build 2 years ago. I will build another build sometime in the future.
  12. Ok, don't overclock on that board. If it works fine stick with it, but that board does not have the VRMs for overclocking a processor like that.

You should consider a better cooler but if everything is working fine and stable, don't mess with it.
  13. Rogue Leader said:
    Ok, don't overclock on that board. If it works fine stick with it, but that board does not have the VRMs for overclocking a processor like that.

You should consider a better cooler but if everything is working fine and stable, don't mess with it.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1815985/ghz-amd-8320-asrock-970-pro3.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2352617/8320-asrock-970-extreme-overclock-questions.html
    What about these?
  14. With good airflow it may work, I still wouldn't do it with a stock cooler, you really need to get lucky with a good chip. That board is really pushing the limit for overclocking and may not work out well for you.
  15. Rogue Leader said:
    With good airflow it may work, I still wouldn't do it with a stock cooler, you really need to get lucky with a good chip. That board is really pushing the limit for overclocking and may not work out well for you.

Lol, ya. I will never do it with a stock cooler. The thing is the cooler you recommended isn't in Canada. I might just go with the Evo 212 or maybe something a bit better.
  16. AMDSY3D said:
    Rogue Leader said:
    With good airflow it may work, I still wouldn't do it with a stock cooler, you really need to get lucky with a good chip. That board is really pushing the limit for overclocking and may not work out well for you.

Lol, ya. I will never do it with a stock cooler. The thing is the cooler you recommended isn't in Canada. I might just go with the Evo 212 or maybe something a bit better.

The EVO 212 isn't bad. If you can get your hands on a Noctua they are a little more but ultra quiet and very good. Deepcool Gammax is another good one.
  17. Rogue Leader said:
    AMDSY3D said:
    Rogue Leader said:

The EVO 212 isn't bad. If you can get your hands on a Noctua they are a little more but ultra quiet and very good. Deepcool Gammax is another good one.

Noctua is like the Audi of coolers. They're amazing, but their price reflects that. The Deepcool is actually cheaper than the Evo 212. i will look into it. Thank you
  18. AMDSY3D said:

Noctua is like the Audi of coolers. They're amazing, but their price reflects that. The Deepcool is actually cheaper than the Evo 212. i will look into it. Thank you

Yes I know I have 2 of them :)

I like the Deepcool, it has a larger fan than the evo so should be a bit quieter.
  19. Rogue Leader said:
    AMDSY3D said:

Yes I know I have 2 of them :)

I like the Deepcool, it has a larger fan than the evo so should be a bit quieter.

They both are 120mm with 4 pipes. I guess I will just have to dig in more to decide. The Deepcool looks cooler too because of the LED fans. Thank you very much. I would've been lost.
  20. You're right I was thinking of a different model.
Ask a new question

Read More

Go Cooling