RX 480 HDMI to VGA Active Adapter

SkyeQuaking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
So i am gonna purchase the RX 480 8GB soon and i need a HDMI to VGA Active adapter for it to work on my screen as getting a new screen right now is out of the question. So i have two questions, First, How can i tell the cable is Active and not Passive? Like is there a mark or something? I might buy it from a local store in my country because international shipping from amazon is a pain in the butt. And second, The RX 480 HDMI socket says it's version 2.0b, Does the HDMI end of the adapter need to be the same version or does it not matter?

Solution

You don't need an active adapter to go from HDMI to VGA. What makes you think you would?

Any HDMI to VGA Dongle will accomplish what you're trying to do.

HDMI 2.0 only comes into play if...

You don't need an active adapter to go from HDMI to VGA. What makes you think you would?

Any HDMI to VGA Dongle will accomplish what you're trying to do.

HDMI 2.0 only comes into play if you're trying to push 1440p or higher, which i can tell you aren't because VGA doesn't support it. Any HDMI to VGA adapter will do.

Solution

SkyeQuaking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

I did my research the last couple of days and read that the RX 480 doesn't support VGA analog output and it has to be Active adapter or it won't work. Not really sure though.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
That would be true if you're trying to connect a DVI-D port to a VGA monitor; DVI-D is digital only (i.e. no analog signal), which is why any DVI-to-VGA adapter you use would need to be an "active" version.

However,@greens is correct that, if you use an HDMI-to-VGA adapter, you don't need to worry about whether it's an "active" or "passive" adapter, as they're pretty much plug-and-play.

SkyeQuaking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

Isn't HDMI a digital only signal too?