950 set to only one game

jeb1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Win 10, Acer Asire V15 Nitro

When I originally set up my new computer I set it to only be in use for one game I play because of the heat it produces.

But I went to a network site to watch part of a program and the video kept switching from very good to poor.

How do I now set the card to be able to pick when I want it to be used?

Tks -

Solution

Close firefox, open nvidia control panel, select .EXE, select the "performance nvidia hardware", "add", open firefox, it should be running with your GPU now.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Model VN7-571G-719D? (http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MUXAA.001)

Well, the problem is that if the laptop isn't using the GTX 950M for graphics, it's using the integrated graphics from your CPU. You probably have the i7-5500U (http://ark.intel.com/products/85214), which is a low-power dual-core i7 with Intel HD 5500 graphics (note, that's not the Iris Pro graphics, but HD 5500). The integrated graphics are nowhere near as good as the 950M, which is why the video quality is automatically dropping to reflect the hardware differences.

The same way you set it to run with the game.

Are you sure the issue is the video speed and not the network speed? An i7 should be able to play HD videos with no issues at all, what is happening sounds more like the video was buffering due to low network speeds than not being able to render with the video card.

jeb1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Well, when I originally set up the computer it had a part to select what I wanted the 950 to run with. Due to the heat of the 950 and everything workiing just fine without the 950 except the game, that is all I selected. Now, I can't find how to change that.

Ref the speed - a speed test shows over 13mgps and everything else runs fine so that should not be the problem. and the network show was buffered just find.

jeb1

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
fabiodrm, the only thing I can find under the control panel is the 3D settings. Have my game and FireFox selected but don't see media player. There is one for movies and TV which I selected but that does not seem to have any effect. It would seem that there should be something other than select 3D under the control panel but that is all I am able to bring up.

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

theres a option where you can select any executable file to add to the list. it will solve the problem. (already did this)

fabiodrm

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016

Close firefox, open nvidia control panel, select .EXE, select the "performance nvidia hardware", "add", open firefox, it should be running with your GPU now.

Solution