i7 3820 Replacement

G

Now, my i7 3820 is not dead (yet). Its been running at 4.625Ghz with a offset overclock, all c-states enabled, speedstep, on a asus p9x79, cooled by a h100i. (p9x79 is only about a year old) The i7 3820 is about 3 and half years old.

What should I replace the 3820 with when it dies? I would go with a i7 4820k, but I don't see any on amazon or newegg, they seem like they no longer sell them. I could buy from Ebay, but I don't know if that is a good thing to do for a cpu.

All I do is game. I got the i7 on a really good deal.

Solution
To be more specific the X79 boards are DDR3 and support up through the 4th Gen chips. X99 boards are DDR4 and support up to 5th and 6th gen chips. 6th gen isn't really worth it, they increased the base price too much and they don't overclock as well as the 5th gen chips.

Have to wait for LGA3647 and the 7th gen, probably in well over year. They will be moving to Hexa channel DDR4 as well is my understanding. (Hopefully they make some CPUs that don't have/need the FPGA part of the chip)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
To be more specific the X79 boards are DDR3 and support up through the 4th Gen chips. X99 boards are DDR4 and support up to 5th and 6th gen chips. 6th gen isn't really worth it, they increased the base price too much and they don't overclock as well as the 5th gen chips.

Have to wait for LGA3647 and the 7th gen, probably in well over year. They will be moving to Hexa channel DDR4 as well is my understanding. (Hopefully they make some CPUs that don't have/need the FPGA part of the chip)

Solution