Nov 22, 2013
so my specs are as follows
i5 3330 3ghz
asus h61me mobo
8gb ddr3 ram
600 watt 80 plus seasonic PSU
500gb WD green HDD
radeon rx 480 XFX oc edition 8gb

basically im not getting what was promised my fps in far cry 4 drop in the 30s as well as fallout 4 and rise of the tomb raider as well as arkham knight and basically any newish games
any help as too what it could be? gpu is fine i ran uningine heaven 4 was 1317 score is it my old ish cpu? my hdd ?
i reinstalled windows even as well as updated too the latest drivers still no avail , i would appreciate the help

Solution
HDD has nothing to do with framerates, so we can exclude that one. CPU bottlenecking no way, since it is being used 60% tops during gaming.

At this point I am without any further ideas except to perform a clean install of Windows from scratch, as I simply cannot see any hardware cause for this behaviour.
A few things you may want to try.

First of all in ATI control panel for the graphics card.
See what the target frame rate control slider is set to, try turning the option off.
Or enable it and set a desired frame rate.

Vsync will lock the frame rate if enabled, to the maximum refresh rate your monitor is set to for the resolution you are playing games in so 60Hz for a refresh rate will keep the fps of a game at around 60 fps.

The other setting to look at is under the global overdrive options.
Set the power limit of the card to 50+ %
And also raise the target gpu tempreture, having a lower setting can reduce the performance of the card, and what fps it produces as the card reaches the set temp, often throttling the gpu of the card if it comes near the set Gpu target set temp.

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

60 cpu and 70 80 on the gpu cpu usage geos too high 80 sometimes but never more

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

i disabled that option there is no throttling in temperatures msi afterburner shows my gpu using the full 1288 mhz at 100 percent load and my frames dip below 60 regardless of vsync at 1080p and the power is set at 50 plus its not my gpu , i tested several tiems it never throttles because i set the fan speed at high

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

doesnt make a difference i accidentally selected ur answer e.e still not resolved

Things are most certainly not as what they should be. You are only getting half of your GPU performance. Your GPU usage is only 53%. Ideally, you want maximum 100% GPU usage and CPU usage below 100% to prevent bottlenecking.

Can you post the pic of the first tab on GPU-Z? It can show what PCI-e speed your interface runs at.

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

i dont understand which tab u meant so here is a screen and if the information is not here please direct me how too show it too you ,also my motherboard is pci 3.0x 16 if that is what you wanted too know
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11so2df&s=9

What I meant was, download GPU-Z software, then screenshot the first tab with all technical data about the GPU.

Your motherboard is *capable* to run at 16x, but it does not necessarily mean that it *does* run at that speed. Some boards and BIOS-es get bugged with certain cards, especially new ones (in this case, motherboard BIOS update might resolve the issue). Anyway, GPU-Z screenshot would be very helpful to see what is the actual bus speed.

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

here they are man
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/09/28/hng.png
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/09/28/f4r.png
i would love if this would be the issue and it gets resolved

No, it works as intended, at x16. All that remains in my book is some kind of software limitation, either through MSI afterburner or some other software. Make sure you dont software-cap framerates anywhere, including in your Crimson drivers (it is called "frame rate target control", disable it if enabled).

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

theyre both disabled, is it my HDD? it is quite old or is my cpu thats bottlenecking ? cus i think theyre the only suspects left, it wasnt 60fps constant even on the lowest settings even though im sure my pc can handle it at lowest 60fps constant
:(

HDD has nothing to do with framerates, so we can exclude that one. CPU bottlenecking no way, since it is being used 60% tops during gaming.

At this point I am without any further ideas except to perform a clean install of Windows from scratch, as I simply cannot see any hardware cause for this behaviour.

Solution

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

the problem did reoccur but there were a lot of spikes in my gpu usage as well

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

well the issues repeated regardless of graphics settings also msi afterburner showed gpu loads at like 60 percent but in gpu z it was showing loads from 0 too 100 completely spiking randomly...any ideas? i really could use the help
EDIT-i reinstalled windows and far cry still fks up but games like dying light and better optimized ones are running at 100 percent gpu load and dont lag at all so it worked thank you ,now another issue that came is gpu loads spiking at idle but nothing is running in the background and it is a fresh windows , i even checked for malware none detected , any ideas?

As far as I know, that is perfectly normal. Whenever you do something in Windows, even simple tasks like moving windows, resizing, opening explorer etc, your graphics card is being used. And it is used in spikes of 100%, for a very very brief time. It can even perform background tasks. So, if this behaviour is not pronounced (i.e. it happens from time to time and for very short duration), then I would not worry at all.

pooeyman

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013

i love u,thats all thanks a lot for the help youre truly a beautiful person