FX 8350 temps on HW monitor

kiran jackson

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
http:// I've been using fx 8350 along with a asus gtx 960 on a Asus M5a97 r2.0. When i play GTA v on ultra settings my cpu shoots to 65 C(pop up from asus ai suite says warning,cpu high temperature) and i am not clear about the various cpu temp readings from hw monitor. please explain me about the image i've shared. and the 65c pop from asus ai suite,is it safe to play on beyond that pop up?
view

Solution
Not bad, but they could be cooler. With the stock cooler, I can usually keep it under 60C at load (usually runs 55-58C). If you haven't already, see if your tower will let you install additional case fans. I've got 5 120mm fans in mine (front/bottom/side pull, rear/top push), which is the max my case will take (the mesh at the top makes me think a 6th fan could be added, but my RAM blocks a full-size 120mm fan from fitting there).

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Best 2 options I can recommend are CoreTemp (temp readings < 40C aren't always accurate, but once you hit 40C it's usually pretty accurate) & AMD Overdrive (doesn't show the temperature per se, but it shows how much margin you have left before you hit the max, so the higher the number the better).

kiran jackson

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014

Played gta v for 20 mins. I monitored using coretemp and amd overdrive and i got 60C on coretemp and 10c margin on amd overdrive. are these temps safe? If not please suggest me a solution or a good aftermarket cpu cooler. currently i'm using deepcool gammax 300. Thanks.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Not bad, but they could be cooler. With the stock cooler, I can usually keep it under 60C at load (usually runs 55-58C). If you haven't already, see if your tower will let you install additional case fans. I've got 5 120mm fans in mine (front/bottom/side pull, rear/top push), which is the max my case will take (the mesh at the top makes me think a 6th fan could be added, but my RAM blocks a full-size 120mm fan from fitting there).

Solution