480 Reference GPU

meer23

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Hello, I am looking to purchase the RX 480. Though I am pretty tight on my budget so I have just decided to get the cheapest reference model:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/469052/Radeon_RX_480_Overclocked_Polaris_Edition_8GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

Though I here the reference models tend to suck, I was wondering if this is true? I don't think I am going to be manually overclocking it myself. But if it really is that bad I think I will save up a bit more money to get the Asus ROG Strix model instead ($40 more):

http://www.microcenter.com/product/468337/Radeon_RX_480_ROG_STRIX_Overclocked_8GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

Tell me if you think the reference model is fine, or if I should spend a bit more for the ROG Strix

Solution
I have one I bought launch day. Love it.

BUT it is relatively loud in comparison to other GPUs. Its not THAT loud, but its louder. Also you really can't overclock it. Overclocking the RX 480 hasn't yielded huge results, but there is a bit of performance to be gained that the ASUS will have.

IMO the reference is fine, it crushes anything at 1080p. If you want to spend the extra money to push it further get the ASUS.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have one I bought launch day. Love it.

BUT it is relatively loud in comparison to other GPUs. Its not THAT loud, but its louder. Also you really can't overclock it. Overclocking the RX 480 hasn't yielded huge results, but there is a bit of performance to be gained that the ASUS will have.

IMO the reference is fine, it crushes anything at 1080p. If you want to spend the extra money to push it further get the ASUS.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you are plugging it into I guess. If you have a tight case the blower style may actually be better, though probably louder. The axial cooled ones will probably manage thermals better with a decent case airflow and give you overall better, quieter, performance.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
It depends. The reference models tend to run hotter but the heat is blown out through the card to the outside of the backside of the case, thus not dumping the heat into the case to be caught by other components. I have a reference GTX 1080 and its fine. I never get above 67C and as long as your GPU stays below 80C you shouldn't run into throttling.