Which 1060 should I buy?

Simonek321

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
I want a GTX 1060 with atleast 4gb, prefferably 6gb. I am not very good with specs so what do i look at? Does a 1060 with 1600 base mhz vs 1700mhz have a huge improvement? Please help me with which one to buy and please leave links down below to which you think is best. Prefferably $400 or less, but if it has a huge performance improvement over another, i will pay little extra thanks!!!

P.s I live in Canada so I use CAD currency not american, and looking to buy off Amazon or Newegg. I also play games like overwatch and battlefield, so pretty gpu intense games.

Solution

Short answer: Unless you're swimming with money, no.

Long answer: There is a process that many graphics card manufacturers go through called binning. They'll test each GPU core they receive from NVidia/AMD, and the chips that just run better are sold at a premium cost while factory overclocked, and those that underwhelmed are sold as budget options. So within this line of logic, it would be better to buy the premium cost, "binned" gpu. The unfortunate truth is that the premium cost is so premium, and the performance...
its 3gb or 6gb so wont get 4gb

any of the big makers really,msi,asus,gigabyte,evga etc

i like the msi gaming versions never had the slightest issue with my gtx970 gaming version from msi

and you can usually just overclock the card to bring it to the same as one that sells at 100mhz higher

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is a list of all the cards you could get with specs and links to reviews if you wish to read some http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902600

having read all the reviews i can say that it really does no matter which card you get. they all give roughly the same fps in game and are all pretty cool and quiet. boost 3.0 will take any card to the max no matter what it comes clocked at out of the box. the one that looks good to you and costs right is the "best" one really. also note than there is a large variety of pcie power needs so be sure the one you pick can be powered by your psu.

really not worth the extra cash for the high end cards as they net the same as the cheaper ones. even some mini models that are nice and small for smaller cases. 1 fan so they run a few degrees warmer but will fit tiny cases if you have one

as numpty noted, there is no 4gb 1060 so would be the 6gb 1060 for you unless you don't mind the 3 gb model.

Yes and no. I agree, if we narrow it down to two fan models, which will be quiter while cooling better.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
well yah, the one fan models will surely run warmer and noisier for sure.

still plenty of solid choices for 2 fan models. which is to say basically all of them. the 1060 is a rather low powered card so it does not need super 3 fan mega cooling like some other cards :)

Yeah, i don't think they'll ever put out 3 fan models. That'd be silly :)

Simonek321

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

Im still having trouble with which one to get. My budget is $400 CAD leaning towards ASUS, EVGA ,or MSI, but which ones? Is 1800 Mhz Overclocked much worth paying extra over a 1700 MHZ Overclocked gpu? This will really help me find my card. Thanks!

Get the GB i linked man. like explained above, tehre's no point in spending more.

Simonek321

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

But dont cards have a certain limit of overclocking? I want to get a card with most performance potential so I'm not sure which one to get. Wouldnt a gpu with a higher factory mhz for a little more be better?

Simonek321

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

The card you sent is 400 on amazon, I would rather pay like $10 more for better performance. The card I get i will be keeping for few years so I want to get the most out of my money

amtseung

Distinguished

Short answer: Unless you're swimming with money, no.

Long answer: There is a process that many graphics card manufacturers go through called binning. They'll test each GPU core they receive from NVidia/AMD, and the chips that just run better are sold at a premium cost while factory overclocked, and those that underwhelmed are sold as budget options. So within this line of logic, it would be better to buy the premium cost, "binned" gpu. The unfortunate truth is that the premium cost is so premium, and the performance difference is so small, that there is no point in paying the extra. It's something like 25%+ more cost for at most 6-7% more theoretical performance. Even within binned GPU's, the silicon lottery still plays a large role in what your overclocking limit is.

Your money, your decision.

Solution

Simonek321

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

This was the answer I was looking for. Thank you so much