r9 280 overheating randomly

toastypoptart

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
Case: Roswell thor(good airflow dustfree)
power: corsair 750 watt
gpu: XFX Black Edition Double D Radeon R9 280 / 50c idle /85c up gaming.

UPDATE: after doing some investigating i have come to the conclusion that my gpu fans are running super slow. at 20% it has a rpm of 600 and 85 its a rpm of 1400 at 100 the rpm does not change and it slowly starts to go down. Any ideas on a fix.

looking at some other posts of people with the same card everyone else had rpm in the 3000 and up.

SOLVED: so today i got my first error. the windows 10 bluescreen dxmms2.sys pretty sure my card is just dying. gonna upgrade to the 1070. gg boys

Solution
Take the video card out of your computer, find a couple screwdrivers, and fully disassemble the video card. Check the bare PCB for any discolorations, and components sticking up off the PCB that have become oddly shaped compared to their neighbors. XFX coolers were never very good, and a 50C idle is very high, even for an R9 280.

I suspect you may have popped/disfigured a VRM or capacitor on the graphics card with temps like that. I popped a VRM on my HD7950 because the cooler design was garbage.

amtseung

Distinguished
Take the video card out of your computer, find a couple screwdrivers, and fully disassemble the video card. Check the bare PCB for any discolorations, and components sticking up off the PCB that have become oddly shaped compared to their neighbors. XFX coolers were never very good, and a 50C idle is very high, even for an R9 280.

I suspect you may have popped/disfigured a VRM or capacitor on the graphics card with temps like that. I popped a VRM on my HD7950 because the cooler design was garbage.

Solution