i5 4460 Temps?

Nightlake

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Hey, so I've got a 2nd CPU lying around and I was just wondering if someone could predict the temps with a hyper 212 evo? Is it worth buying one for the i5 4460?

My temps atm with the stock cooler are these:
25 Idle
38-45 gaming (maybe 50 MAX)
53 rendering

Solution

Ok sure 90C is going to be ok. But NEVER EVER run your CPU at 90C if possible. You'll decrease the lifespan of that CPU...

But I do agree that you don't need an aftermarket cooler, as long as your CPU temps are below 65-70C, your good.

Ok sure 90C is going to be ok. But NEVER EVER run your CPU at 90C if possible. You'll decrease the lifespan of that CPU...

But I do agree that you don't need an aftermarket cooler, as long as your CPU temps are below 65-70C, your good.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Mobile CPUs are also designed differently - as they have limited cooling options to work with.
You really can't compare safe/operating temperatures between the two, at least not directly as there are some variances. A mobile i5 does not = a desktop i5 (as an example)

It's been covered off OP, but you really have no need for a 212EVO (or any aftermarket cooler) at those temps. You're fine as is.

They're not designed any differently, they're identical to their desktop counterparts, with the exception of clockspeed and the lack of an integrated heatspreader. They are the same physical chip.

EDIT: But yes, I agree there's no need for an aftermarket cooler.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
'Designed' was probably a poor choice of words given context, but fundamentally, you just agreed with it.

They don't reduce the clock speed etc simply to call it a 'mobile' CPU, it's to offset the additional heat aspect that a laptop struggles to handle. Thermal throttling also kicks in too, meaning ~90'C (for arguments sake) isn't actually any more feasible in a laptop than a desktop.

Same physical chip, arguably. Given there are different sockets for mobile CPUs, there certainly is a difference in 'design'.

The temp level before throttling is relaxed a little on mobile CPUs, to allow them to sustain their 'boost' clock speed for a decent duration, otherwise it's a fairly pointless feature. Laptops are not expected to be able to run 100% CPU utilization at their top clock speed for any significant duration vs a desktop where temperature should be appropriate to run a stress test on the CPU for 12+ hours & not reach 'dangerous' temps, or throttling.

Another consideration is that laptops (generally) are not viewed with the same longevity as a desktop - from a manufacturing standpoint, they have a limited shelflife.
A laptop CPU can run at 90'C+ for a couple of years, and if it were to die, nobody gives it much of a second thought.

The same thing cannot be said for a desktop though, where they should still be capable of running (assuming no other issues) for many years. Running at a sustained 'dangerous' temp for extended periods of time way well impact it's longevity.

While I agree that what you're saying is logical, in practice mobile CPUs generally have no less lifespan than desktop CPUs have. I suspect it's a case of finding facts/reasoning to support already-held beliefs.

It's true that most laptops end up in a landfill within 5-7 years of manufacture, but the occurrence of CPU failure being the cause of that is insignificantly small.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not saying that is the cause for laptops limited lifespan, usually another component will go long before the CPU 'burns out'. It's definitely a consideration though - if a laptop is not reasonably expected to last >5 years, then there's no sense in manufacturing a CPU with the intent of it lasting much longer (if it does, great!). Therefor it can run at higher temps (before throttling) more frequently.

There's not too much data on CPU lifespan (desktop vs mobile) anyway, so it's speculation & assumptions on both sides of the argument. I was simply responding to your mobile version longevity comment - it's a valid comment overall, I just think it's a little too simplistic, that's all.

Agree to disagree there.

Anyway, we got way off topic there. OP, you're fine - I wouldn't waste any money on an aftermarket cooler based on those temps.