RX 460 DP to VGA not working

DodoxD1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I bought a new RX 460 and Displayport to VGA monitor adapter and I'm not getting any image on the monitor. I tried the same adapter on my old GPU and it's working. GPU fans are working and I tried connecting it to the TV with HDMI and it's working. How can I make it work on my monitor with the DP to VGA adapter?

Solution
Ah, good. So the card is working. Can you set it up fully using your TV then? I know it is a PITA to do so and a long stretch, but you have to remove some uncertainties from your problem.

In particular, I'm inclined to think the RX460 you have, doesn't have support for that adapter (I am assuming it's passive), so you might need to change it for an Active one or use the HDMI or DVI instead with an HDMI/DVI to VGA adapter.

Cheers!
I can only imagine that the RX460 doesn't have an internal switch for making passive adapters "active" or the drivers are not recognizing the adapter at all. If that is the case, then you might need an "active" DP to VGA adapter or wait for the drivers to give support for it.

Have you been in the AMD forums asking or looking around for information about this?

Cheers!

DodoxD1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

I don't even have installed drivers except the ones from the old GPU, I can't install them because I don't have any image on the monitor only D-SUB no signal...

No, I haven't been on AMD forums yet, but I've been looking around why it's not working but I still can't find the answer.

DodoxD1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I have installed new drivers now 16.7 and installed the gpu but still no image only D-Sub no signal on monitor. I'm not getting any windows logo or BIOS logo

Ok, then what I said earlier (DP to VGA needing a power source) might be the correct answer then. Are you able to buy an active adapter if you can't find a solution through drivers?

And another, a bit more terrifying thought, the DP port, or the card itself, might be faulty. Do you have a way to test the other ports to see the card is actually working?

And just to clarify: if you install the new drivers using the old card, it will install the old card drivers instead. AMD and nVidia bundle a *lot* of card drivers into the same bundle, but when installing in a fine grained way, they use different files underneath. That means (for short), you cannot install the drivers for the new video card using the old card, even when they are of the same brand.

Cheers!

DodoxD1

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I'm installing again drivers but now I connected both GPU's, 460 on x16 slot and HD 5670 on x4 slot just to have image. I will try to install the newest beta drivers to see if it's going to help. The gpu is working for sure I tried connecting it to my TV with HDMI and everything seems fine but using this adapter it's not working. But the adapter works on my old GPU... strange

EDIT: Can't install the new drivers because my old gpu is installed. What should I do next?

Ah, good. So the card is working. Can you set it up fully using your TV then? I know it is a PITA to do so and a long stretch, but you have to remove some uncertainties from your problem.

In particular, I'm inclined to think the RX460 you have, doesn't have support for that adapter (I am assuming it's passive), so you might need to change it for an Active one or use the HDMI or DVI instead with an HDMI/DVI to VGA adapter.

Cheers!

Solution