GX 480: 4GB or 8GB

Rawberries

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
I'm gonna buy a new gpu.

I've decided to buy a gx 480, but is the 4gb extra worth it?

Would my framerates go a bit higher and stuff?

#PCMASTERRACE :)

Solution
If you have budget for it, get the 8gb. 4gb could be a limit going forward, but also the 8gb versions vram runs faster, so it does perform better.

I would recommend getting one of the cards made with a 3rd party cooler, the reference blower cooler isnt great and can be quite loud.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
There is no reason that you would need the 8GB version unless you are running 4+ monitors at 1080p off of one card. 4GB is more than enough for any game that is currently out or is going to be coming out within the next year or two.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
If you have budget for it, get the 8gb. 4gb could be a limit going forward, but also the 8gb versions vram runs faster, so it does perform better.

I would recommend getting one of the cards made with a 3rd party cooler, the reference blower cooler isnt great and can be quite loud.

Solution

Rawberries

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

Okey, i'll go for the 8gb because of the reason that i might buy vr glasses etc. And i don't like random fps drops so this would be stable for now. After this upgrade i'll be done with the setup. In fact: I'll be able to play the most upcoming games 60 fps+ at high or ultra which is a good thing.