RX 480 PCI 3.0 question

Slimre

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
I got myself a new MSI rx 480 gaming x 8GB gpu. when installed i get a black screen (system runs fine with my old radeon hd 6750). My seller tells me the problem is my 2.0 pci slot, so I should get a new motherboard. My concern is that my processor does not seem to support pci 3.0. but I am not sure about this. I already upgraded the BIOS (but the newest version is already from 2011). Would buying a new motherboard help with this processor? Any input is welcome!

specs: Windows 10 (64bit)
motherboard: MS 7707 ver 1.1
power: corsair RM650X
pcu: i7-2600 3.4ghz

Solution
1) Try use the DDU to uninstall the old AMD GPU driver in safe mode, then switch to the rx480 to see you can boot the PC or not. DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
If you still get the black screen. then try next.
2) Go into the BIOS, diable the Secure Boot, and enable the Legacy Boot, you may check the manual to see where you can do these things.

If you try all, the GPU still does not work, the RX480 has problem. The seller is not correct, because as long as the MB has pcie2.0X16, the rx480 should work, you have the good PSU to power the rx480.
1) Try use the DDU to uninstall the old AMD GPU driver in safe mode, then switch to the rx480 to see you can boot the PC or not. DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
If you still get the black screen. then try next.
2) Go into the BIOS, diable the Secure Boot, and enable the Legacy Boot, you may check the manual to see where you can do these things.

If you try all, the GPU still does not work, the RX480 has problem. The seller is not correct, because as long as the MB has pcie2.0X16, the rx480 should work, you have the good PSU to power the rx480.

Solution

Slimre

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

Thank you for your ideas. I already returned the gpu. I didnt want to buy a mb to find out the cpu was the problem. Do i understand correctly that my processor, which does not support pci 3.0 , will not be a problem ? I read that before third generation intel didnt support it. Again thanks for helping, im still interested because i will have to decide if i change everything or can just buy a gpu

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

3.0 is backwards compatible

has nothing to do with the cpu

it should have worked, maybe human error or defective product