100 Degrees CPU, fan running, just changed the themal paste?

MadsBroni

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hello there,

when I started the computer this morning, the startup of windows was extremely laggy. Normally it starts up and open all the programs like a dream, but today it was a struggle. I therefore decided to restart the machine.

When restarting it told me that the CPU was running dangerously hot. I did some research, and since the fan was running, I figured it was the thermal paste that was the issue. I've now changed the paste, and the issue persists. Real temp says the same as the BIOS. Around 100 degrees.

The CPU is Intel 4770K, with a hybrid water cooling from Crosair. The CPU is running on low usage.

Any help is really appreciated as I am depending on the machine to do my work. Thanks!

best,
Mads

Solution
Could be a pump problem.

Is your water cooling pump plugged into the motherboard or is it plugged into the power supply with an adapter?

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Clearly this is an issue.. >...>

I would suggest plugging the pump into an adapter and into the power supply so we know it's getting 12v.
Try a different fan header and make sure the fan header speed is maxed out in the BIOS.

Also, I'd suggest feeling the cooler, is the pump actually working? This is usually the cause.

If you feel the tubes, one of them should be hotter than the other as the coolant flows.

MadsBroni

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Can I just use the same cable and move it to the Power supply?

The fan is running as much as it used to in a heavy game or a 3d Render, this time though it is just on the desktop without anything running. I'll change the fan header though.

One of the tubes is earm the others is Cold. That means it Works?