R9 390 causing two motherboards to fail to post?

btrapp1978

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue and I've searched the forums to no avail. It's a bit complex so I'll explain.

I had a self-built PC running an AMD FX-8350 chip and MSI Radeon R9 390 graphics card on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. It ran perfect for 8 months and then BOOM, the motherboard won't post. I searched the forums, determined it wasn't a memory or a PSU issue, so I figured it's the board. I bought it refurbished and already had it RMAed once, so I figured it was going bad.

So I bought a new board: a Gigabye 990FX-gaming board, thinking that would fix the problem. But it won't post either! It has the LED digital readout on the board, and it flashes through a few codes and then sticks on one that looks like "02" (which is not listed as one of the codes in the manual), but after reading some other forums I think is actually "D2" which is "PCH initialization error". After reading about that for a bit, I learn that often has something to do with resource sharing conflicts between the graphics card and something else.

So I take out the MSI Radeon R9 390, put in my old XFX Radeon 7870 card, and voila, it works! One suggestion said to try to put your graphics card into a different PCI-E slot, but since that 390 is about a foot long I don't have the room in my case to do that.

Any idea what's going on here? Did my graphics card go bad? If it did, would that cause BOTH motherboards to fail to post when it's installed?

Help.

Solution
Well, according to the specification, it has only 576W on the 12V line so it cold be a casue, test your videocard in another pc which has a good psu.
The only way to fully test your videocard is to test it in a completly different build (a friend, a relative or something similar) but from what are you saying yes it is most likely dead. The r9 390 from what i remember uses more power then the 7870, what psu do you have?