i5 4460 with/ ASUS z97-e/usb3.1 M/B: Constant crashes and BSOD's while gaming

Schierke

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi Forum
First time on the site, hope I'm not breaking any rules posting here, if I am I urge you to tell me right away.

I bought a new pc on March of 2016 for multitasking and gaming, since I couldn't afford to buy a graphics card at the time I used the intel hd integrated graphics and got issues with any game that supposed a load, with constant crashes and BSOD's, I though getting a graphics card would solve my problems, but I recently bought (03/10/2016) an msi rx 480 gaming x 8gb and things keep going the same as usual. Whenever i multitask my pc with visual or gaming aplications it crashes with BSOD or the application crashes.

I'm no computer expert but i've tried my best to fix this issue myself, updated my m/b bios to the latest version, updated chipset drivers of my m/b, graphic drivers for my new msi card, reinstall windows 10 on my pc, check for all PSU connectors to be in place and well connected to my motherboard, i checked for overheat and cpu temp°s vary from 50 to 60°C,

Game applications such as Overwatch, Doom (2016) keep crashing and eventually they'll cause a BSOD, which has become a Red screen of death since I installed the new GPU.
Video aplications such as VLC player as well, have caused BSOD from time to time.

I ran whocrashed v5.52 and this are the results of my latest BSOD:

On Thu 06-10-2016 1:28:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100516-21609-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x149F90)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFFFA0146825428, 0x2000000000000000, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 05-10-2016 5:58:18 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100516-39562-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x149F90)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x18, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8012885EC70)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 05-10-2016 5:58:18 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x18, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8012885EC70)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

Here I put a list of the specs and parts of my pc atm:

HDD: Seagate 1000gb st1000dm003
CPU: Intel® CPU Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz (1150)
M/B: Asus® M/B Intel Z97-E USB 3.1 (1150)
RAM: Kingston® DDR3 8 GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 HyperX Fury Red
PSU: Cougar® Fuente Poder 550w / 14cm 80Plus Bronze CMX 550 (v3)
GPU: Msi RX 480 gaming X 8GB

I have no idea what to do next, I tried everything I've found on the internet with my modest resources and knowledge. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

Try running a memtest, one or more of your RAM modules might be bad. That's my best guess. Otherwise the only other options are a faulty motherboard or a bad PSU (maybe not that much of a longshot considering it's an off-brand).

http://www.memtest86.com/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
This error is usually caused by a buggy driver or Bios setting trying to access memory at the wrong address. There's a couple things you can check.
Open up a Command Prompt window and type CHKDSK /F. This'll run through the hdd and fix any possible errors.
Open up a Command Prompt window and run as administrator. Type in SFC /SCANNOW This'll run through Windows and correct any installed system files that might be corrupted.
Open a Command Prompt window (Run as administrator).
Type VERIFIER to open the Driver Verifier Manager, or type VERIFIER /? to view command line options. What this is is a Windows program that looks at exactly what drivers are doing. I'd suggest not trying too many drivers at a time. If there's any driver trying something funky, it'll zero in on that driver and let you know something is wrong. This might take a while.
Run memory diagnostic tool. It's part of Windows 10. Its not a bad program, just basic. If you really want a thorough exam of your ram, use memtest86.

Highly likely its a driver error, not hardware, and considering exactly what you've updated and what's not fixed or changed, it could be anywhere,. The only exception I can think of is a bad boot drive, that's not been diagnosed by reinstall of Windows, and since most Windows drivers are semi-permanent, never overwritten, you've got 1 driver written in a bad sector, so leaving screwy results.

Schierke

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016

Hi, thanks for the help, I've been following every step so far... I ran through my HDD and found no errors, ran 14 passes on memtest86 latest version and found no errors on my RAM, ran SFC /SCANNOW and nothing changed, at this point I'm figuring out how to properly use verifier to check for driver inconsistencies but I barely know what am doing at this point. I put a link with my memorydump files if someone has the time, knowledge and resources to read. The only thing left is to run memory diagnostic tool.

https://uploadfiles.io/1a14

Tradesman1: I've already installed latest mobo drivers and bios from my manufacturer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you've run memtest, it's doubtful you'll need to run MDT, but at this point, it can't hurt and doesn't take long.
It just sucks that this type of error can be so broad it's a real pain to try and pin down. I'm really hoping Verifier can find something, or at least point in the right direction.
Did you manually search through all the possible mobo drivers? I know with my older Asus z77, there's 2-3 drivers on top of the list, then skip 10 or so as irrelevant or outdated, then 1 to dl, skip 5 etc.
For instance, there isn't just 1 set of Sata drivers. My board uses 2x Intel Sata 6Gb, 2x Intel Sata 3Gb and 2x Marvell Sata 3Gb. And if course the Marvell drivers were ½way down the page, Intel on top.

Schierke

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi everyone, sorry that i took so long to reply, so I fixed my problem, it was pretty straight forward and i feel pretty dumb for not realizing earlier. Story short, my ram was running at 1966mhz and its speed was for 1866mHz. Went to bios and everything was fixed in seconds... Big facepalm. Thx for the help anyways! Learned lots of stuff in the process this is my first build so im happy that everthing works as it should now :)