RX 480 problem, PC restarts randomly, especially in intensive games

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Hey guys, I hope you can help me out on this one.

Last week I bought a Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB GPU to replace my MSI R7 260X (I have a 600W CoolerMaster PSU btw) but since then my PC keeps randomly restarting (every 15 min on average). At first I thought it was a power problem because our electricity installation (I don't know how it's called in english) had just been changed, yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest AMD drivers and no crash for hours (even in game), everything seemed to be fine, launched Rocket League (which made the PC crash almost immediately everytime, especially when there are lots of particle effects and stuff) and it worked, today I did the same, and, you guessed it, it restarts...

How do you think I can solve this?

Solution
You should get othre better-quality PSU, because most of the CM 600W is the low-quality PSU, which has problem to handle the newer powerful GPU.

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Yeah I already have been told that they were crappy, but I want to try anyway because I don't just wanna spend 75€ because I THINK it MIGHT be the PSU.
Thanks for answering btw

First you may try use the DDU uninstall the old GPU driver in safe mode, then reinstall the GPU driver. Also how about the MB BIOS, or the chipset driver, I mean if you don't update yet, just do it. After that try run the PC.
If you get the same problem, I will say your CM PSU has problem to power the rx480, because you said you got the new RX480 to replace the r7 260x, I assumed the PC run fine with the 260X, that means the PSU does not have enough power to power the rx 480, and of course, the RX 480 may have problem too, and you can test it in other PC.
By the way what model is the 600W? If it is the Extreme Power model, check the link, it is in the PSU Lemon List. http://johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-lemon-list.html

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
My PSU is not on the list, mine is the B600 ver.2.
I dont really know how to do the rest (I probably could find it on the internet but you are here to help and a real person is always better), so can you tell me what DDU means, how to enable safe mode and how to uninstall the old driver and finally; how to update the BIOS or chipset driver.

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
CoolerMaster's PSU calculator says that I should totally be fine:
a1f4a3e77f.jpg

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

I5 4690k at 3.5GHz
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
2x8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM
MSI Z97 PC Mate Mobo
Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB
7200rpm 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
CoolerMaster B600 v.2 600W PSU
Hydro-dynamic bearing CF-V14H Cougar 140mm fan
Carbide Series SPEC-01 Case
Unknown Optical CD-DVD Drive

There you go!

try changing the power efficiency tickbox also.

run a furmark test which stresses gpu only.
If it passes a furmark stress test which pushes 100% gpu usage but literally zero cpu usage then the issue may very likely be with the psu instead when there is a fully sytemwide cpu & gpu load.

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I'm pretty sure I did it well but it didn't work, btw I have noticed that my PC crashes less since friday, I still can't play games but when idle I'm mostly fine.

1) Does the PC run fine before switch to the RX480?
2) Can you test the rx480 in other PC? like one from your friend, just make sure it works fine.
3) May go into the windows event viewer to check out the error message, you may figure out what cause the crash.

If the pc runs totally fine before you switch to the rx480. I will say either the PSU or the RX 480 cause the problem.

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I tried Windows Event Viewer like you said and I think I have found the cause, even if I don't really understand what it is/means.
Here is what it says, it's in french but you should be able to understand it:
3f807bbd45.png

That is what I expected. Do you check there are any other error?
Info for 41 kernel power (applie to Win10): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

If the PC work fine before you swtiched the GPU, and you did try use the DDU uninstall the GPU driver after install the rx480, I still think either GPU or PSU has problem.
For rx 480, you have to test it in other PC to make sure it works or not.
For PSU you can go into the BIOS hardware monitor section ( may check the MB manual ) to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V to see those voltages are within +/- 5%. The PSU Voltage Tolerances http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/power-supply-voltage-tolerance.htm
Or use the multimeter to test the PSU.

If the PC did the same with the r7 260X, the RAM, or OS may have proble.

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I'm quite in a hurry so I'll keep it short.
Last 3 days an electrician worked at my place. We found out that my PC wasn't just randomly rebooting; only when launching a game like Bf1 and when using water like taking a shower or flushing the WC. So he tried everything related to the water pump etc... and to the outlets in the wall etc... Today I finished installing Bf1 so I went where I used to live to play for a while, my PC immediately rebooted, turns out it really was my PC... Probably both the drivers AND the defect water pump. I'm going to try a few things out, including testing my old GPU where I used to live to eliminate the water pump issue. I'll keep you informed of further progress.

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Re-tried to uninstall with DDU and reinstalled Crimson 16.10.2, here are my results:
Civilisation 5, no problem
Rocket League and Shadow of Mordor, some crashes but not always
Battlefield 1, crashes immediately after the intro cinematic (when gameplay begins) or even only in the main menu...

Kobo99

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
So I tried the old GPU out in the same conditions and surprisingly enough it works. So the problem does come from the GPU or at least something related to it.