GPU is running hot by default ? read this

UnknowenMad

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I own a GTX 780 Ti and i've just found out that while running stress tests such as Heaven, FurMark, and MSI Kumbustor the card runs at 1137Mhz at 1.162V stable. On the other hand, while playing heavy games it runs at 1150Mhz at 1.2V which is a huge increase in voltage for just +13Mhz. This made the GPU reach high temps on load (sometimes it would reach 87c). So, i tried increasing the core clock and i could reach 1220Mhz at 1.2V stable (i haven't even tried more). I then realized it must be Nvidia Boost 2.0 so i downloaded Kepler Bios Tweaker to edit the GPU's bios and made it run at 1137Mhz max on load thinking that the card would run at 1.162V with this core clock just like it did before. But unfortunately, it ran at 1.112V at the 1137Mhz on load which wasn't stable and i got driver crash while playing. I don't know why it didn't run at 1.162V like before so i edited the bios again but this time i changed the voltage and forced it to stay at 1.162V but only on load so that idle voltage stays the same (0.887v). I ran different stress tests for half an hour and it was stable but i knew that sometimes a GPU can be stable at benchmarks while not in some heavy games such as GTA V and The Witcher 3. So i've decided to make it run at 1100Mhz at 1.162V to ensure maximum stability and to make sure that i won't have to edit the bios again. Now it never goes above 77c which is super nice for a 780 Ti which is made to run at 83c according to Nvidia. I couldn't find any decrease in performance neither in games nor in benchmarks.

Please not that:
- Editing the bios is very risky and one mistake could lead to the death of the GPU. You can use MSI Afterburner instead.
- According to Google this happens because of Nvidia Boost Technology (GPUs overclock themselves).
- Not all cards are the same. It depends on the manufacturers and their bios.

Hope this helps :)

Solution
Gotcha, I was gonna say, my (really) old HD 3850 could hit 1.5v but those old GPU's tend to overvolt much better than new ones. And even then it blew up within a month or two. So you basically undervolted it to maintain better temperatures at same/similar clock speeds? That is pretty cool, smart.
When you burn out whatever gpu you have don't ask us to help you.
Take note your warrenty will be voided, no manufacturer support technician on the phone will want to fix it.
Without making you buy a new one at full price through them if they give you a choice.

Sounds like you may want to revert the gpu default speed back to where it was.
Go back to the original bios it had on before it to prevent any new mishaps by you.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Sounds like you're running it at 1.62v vs 1.2v just to gain a pretty negligible amount of overclock. I'd revert to default settings if I was you... Not sure what GPU you have but it will probably blow up soon at 1.62v.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Gotcha, I was gonna say, my (really) old HD 3850 could hit 1.5v but those old GPU's tend to overvolt much better than new ones. And even then it blew up within a month or two. So you basically undervolted it to maintain better temperatures at same/similar clock speeds? That is pretty cool, smart.

Solution