R9 380 running unusually hot... help?

retrogradesnowcone

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card is the exact card. not overclocked or anything.

idle is 45C, in games (mostly tested in overwatch) it hits about 85-86C.. has gone as high 87C

my friend has an R9 380 with similar system specs but it runs almost 10C cooler during load

we just cleaned the case just in case, installed more case fans, but no significant change. we're not getting any artifacts or anything, just concerned about it being this hot.

is something seriously wrong here? should it be RMA'd? will this reduce it's lifespan? is looking into GPU coolers worth it here?

appreciate any advice

Solution
If it was outside of warranty- then I'd suggest reapplying the thermal paste. But with warranty- maybe try to RMA and see if it gets accepted.
By the way, did you check if both fans run? What happens when you set the fans to max- the temperatures drop significantly?

neblogai

Distinguished
It is normal for GPUs to work at up to 90C. AIB cards usually have lower temperatures, but for reference cards- noise/temperature ratio is often balansed for 90C and lower noise.
However: reviews have this card only reach 63-69C on load. This, plus high idle temps show that either your room temperature is very high, or case has no airflow, or GPU is really for some reason getting hot- maybe thermal paste dried out or smth. And, even if GPU itself is not afraid of 87C- other components on the card might not like the higher than expected heat.

retrogradesnowcone

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

what would be the best solution to dealing with the temp issue then? or should it just be ignored?

(room is not particularly hot, just cleaned the case, added a 2nd case fan)

neblogai

Distinguished
If it was outside of warranty- then I'd suggest reapplying the thermal paste. But with warranty- maybe try to RMA and see if it gets accepted.
By the way, did you check if both fans run? What happens when you set the fans to max- the temperatures drop significantly?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS