1070 strix dropped core frequency

kiaff75

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Yesterday i got my new asus 1070 strix and installed it. ran firestrike and played some games and hwmonitor showed my core freq at 2038MHz at 65c, not too shabby. however today i downloaded gpu tweak 2 to snoop around and my freq now maxes out just under 1700MHz at 66c regardless of oc mode or gaming mode. what happened? i didnt mess with any other settings besides switching between the two modes.

Solution
Run furmark and it'll show your real gpu clock rate, you can see mine hover near 2000 but mostly just shy of it and that's with +166mhz on the gpus.

I can get to +200gpu but it's very unstable, benchmarks fail and such, +100mhz gpu is the clock I run every day with +133mhz ram.

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
2038 is the boost clock for a ~1600mhz gpu clock, I can't get stable past 1675 ish either but ram I got to +1332mhz (yes there is artifacting but not enough to crash the card during a benchmark and fast as crap). Took this to confirm clock in action furmark like msi afterburner shows half the actual clock rate.

xfurmarkUntitled_zps5rmf2zib.png

Added a second so you can see it's still running over a minute in.
xfurmark_zpswtu2zglq.png

kiaff75

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
what im not getting is that yesterday without doing anything, just installing the card and playing, it was 2038MHz stable and cool, now all of a sudden it stops at 1633MHz regardless of oc/gaming/whatever settings i put it on. i have tried uninstalling gpu tweak to see if that was the reason but still the same results. i want that extra 400MHz i had yesterday back lol

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Run furmark and it'll show your real gpu clock rate, you can see mine hover near 2000 but mostly just shy of it and that's with +166mhz on the gpus.

I can get to +200gpu but it's very unstable, benchmarks fail and such, +100mhz gpu is the clock I run every day with +133mhz ram.

Solution

kiaff75

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Excellent thank you!! the thought never crossed my mind but hwmonitor had an update today and didnt even think that it could just be reading false frequencies. everything is back to normal. this is where it seemed to sit steady running no problems after a few minutes of furmark. im very satisfied with this card.

https://imageshack.com/i/pof7KNrjp

on a related note, my card ran this fast without gpu tweaker so is it basically useless unless i decide to change my settings manually?

iamacow

Admirable
Nvidia disabled its cards from running at full speeds in Furmark because it can (and has) blow your VRMs on the cards. This cuts down on RMAs from dumb people who run it constantly trying to get high temperatures. If you bypass the lock (by changing the exe name), you will at some point damaged your card from using Furmark.

Run something that doesn't destroy your card like Heaven benchmark. That gives your temps and clocks on screen.

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I've run it for up to 10 mins just to see if my temps were under control, it's not the best benchmarking tool out there but it is one of the smallest and a quick test there will generally stutter or otherwise misperform if your clocks are too high. I didn't realize nvidia capped it, I use it all the time.

iamacow

Admirable
They locked it down around the 700 series. I tried to look for the original article nvidia posted but I cannot find it. I did find a number of posts about the subject as far back as 2012. It seems each series acts different per nvidia designs. These new series do not get hot enough to downclock or pull enough power to cause major issues so that might be why you haven't noticed.

Up until recently you could simply disable the lock by changing the exe name, but it seems Nvidia and AMD both caught on and added the furmark startup code into the drivers to avoid a simply name change.

"- FurMark 1.11.0 adds the display of NVIDIA GPU Boost limiting policies for GeForce GTX 600 and GTX 700:" 2013

In fact running furmark can void your warranty on certain brands. Not that they can tell you ran (that program) besides you telling them.