RX 480 XFX GTR VS RX 480 SAPPHIRE NITRO+ (Power Consumption)

Paul-12

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
RX 480 XFX GTR VS RX 480 SAPPHIRE NITRO+

[Don't want the GTX 1060]

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB Link

*RGB
*Removable fans
*Power connector at the back fo the card
*Good looking backplate and overall aesthetics
*Fits my current theme [Black/White/Grey]

RX 480 XFX GTR 8GB Link

*Solid colored LED [Replaceable]
*Removable fans
*Power connector is at the front of the card
*Extremely low power draw [100W] [According to JayzTwoCents]
*Card is all black

So the problem is, the power consumption of the Nitro compared to the GTR. So its either I sacrifice the premium features of the Nitro in exchange for the lower power draw of the GTR or if someone can confirm that I can downclock the card to atleast at 120W because I dont mind the lost FPS and if it can even go down to 100W then that would be great.

Can anybody give their opinion?

Solution
I will never ever touch another XFX product as I have UPS picking mine up on Monday as one fan is gimpy and the other is loud (you shake the fan and you can hear the bearings rattle in it) so I contacted XFX and they asked if I could make a short video of it doing this. #1 I can't make a video and #2 the new Catalyst Crimson drivers makes it so I can't just turn the fan always on at a specified speed like I could before. So much for a warranty from them so back it goes to Amazon where I purchased it.

The card was great but those easily removable fans are too slim and the bearings are too small to last if you ask me so I am going back to the Sapphire brand because my 7870 went gimpy (one fan was completely dead but the other was still...

bloodroses

Distinguished
Assuming they both have the same amount of RAM in them, they power usage should be same when at the same clock speeds. Both cards can be overclocked or underclocked. If you like the look of the Sapphire better than the XFX, then go for that one; assuming they're similar in price.

As for reviews, this is about all I found:

Sapphire RX480 Nitro+
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3098825/components-graphics/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-review-polaris-rethought-and-refined.html

XFX RX480 GTR Black Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHsDfgjKKs

Twigman

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Just a heads up, Jay's sample was a golden one, so the chances of you getting a card which will perform remotely like his are small.

It's possible to reduce the power consumption through undervolting in either Afterburner or AMD's own Wattman. With a good card you shouldn't lose any MHz on the core but you may find that to lower it you'll need to downclock too if you want to hit that 110-120w tdp ~

fourseven

Reputable
Aug 14, 2016
I would prefer Sapphire RX480 Nitro+, It has good Cooling system very quite and yes as mentioned above you only need take off one bolt with your screwdriver to take off the fan, made you easier to clean them.
and I just bought one 2 days ago... It really NICE :D, good performance, and quite as I said before.

I've had problems with 2 sapphire cards. At this point I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. For my most recent AMD card purchase I paid more to get a non-sapphire card. (MSI, and it worked perfectly, very happy with that card.)

Paul-12

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

They are at the same price in my country. And yes I'm leaning towards the Nitro then I'll just downclock it but I also wanted to hear what other people think on the matter. Also, about the XFX Review that you posted. Thats a different card.

This is the card:
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-gtr-black-8gb-dd-led-rx-480p8dba6

bloodroses

Distinguished

It was the closest review I could find in relation to the one mentioned. NewEgg has all the XFX 480s listed under one page:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814150782

Paul-12

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Yeah thats the one! But I yeah. Theres not really any actual reviews for it yet. Hopefully somebody that owns one can confirm the power consumption of the XFX card.

Its really weird that it has no reviews on official websites. I wanted to see the benchmarks for games, temps, power, OC and other stuff. Its already October. So not sure whats taking em so long.

Paul-12

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Im willing to trade off performance for power efficiency. Because where Im at electricity costs are too high.

Paul-12

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
Can anybody try to downclock their Nitro? I mean if theres a risk on breaking the card itself then dont. Its just that theres no downclocking guide for the Nitro. Plus Im just trying to find out if its possible to even go down to 120W. Because If I buy the card then It turns out It cant then Im stuck with the card and not being able to do what I want with it.

Dark Alchemist

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
I will never ever touch another XFX product as I have UPS picking mine up on Monday as one fan is gimpy and the other is loud (you shake the fan and you can hear the bearings rattle in it) so I contacted XFX and they asked if I could make a short video of it doing this. #1 I can't make a video and #2 the new Catalyst Crimson drivers makes it so I can't just turn the fan always on at a specified speed like I could before. So much for a warranty from them so back it goes to Amazon where I purchased it.

The card was great but those easily removable fans are too slim and the bearings are too small to last if you ask me so I am going back to the Sapphire brand because my 7870 went gimpy (one fan was completely dead but the other was still strong and quiet) 6 weeks after warranty but at least it lasted me for a few years not 3 weeks of not even heavy gaming on it like the XfX.

Solution