100% CPU usage in games

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Whenever I play any even slightly graphics intensive games, such as Fallout 4 or Gmod, I get very few fps and my CPU is at 100% usage.

Specs:
Intel i7-6700 CPU
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 ti GPU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Western Digital WD Blue Hard Disk Drive - 2TB
Windows 10 64bit

Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Correct, that's the problem. You have to have the monitor plugged into the card. Otherwise you are just using the IGP. Make sure "PEG" is first in the bios, and that the card is firmly in the slot. Is power running to the card correctly?

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

CPU is at around 30°C normally and 40°C in game, average for an i7 is 60°C so I doubt it's a cooling issue.

edodadams

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
What are your graphic settings? I might be wrong, but isn't that video card closer to the minimum requirements than to the recommended? It might be leaning on the cpu to compensate.

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

No matter the graphical settings, i always get 1-3 fps.

edodadams

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
LOL, that may not be playable. I guess I would start with all the basics. Is your monitor cable plugged into the discrete video card and not the motherboard? Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling latest driver for video card? Are the game files sound (if you got it off Steam you can do file validation through the library). Do you have other games or applications that work fine? That's best I can do for you, but the more info you post might help others diagnose.

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

I don't think it's a PSU issue, I have a Corsair CX 600M.
This is a relatively new build, only a few weeks old so I'm still looking for bugs.

4745454b

Titan
And all games run bad? Do you have any that work? Can you go into windows update and see if you have any waiting? I think Win10 does it all auto, but maybe you are missing a DX or other such update. Because it's a new build did you load the drivers for your GPU?

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

I can only plug my monitor into my mobo, as I get a no video through pc error message.
I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the latest driver for my video card.
I have validated my game files, and they were all fine.
This is a relatively new build so I don't have many programs, but the ones I do have, (Microsoft office and Sony Vegas) are working fine.
Other games with intensive graphics are running between 1-3 fps, mostly those with 3D movement.

If the cable is inserted in the Mobo you are using integrated graphics, hence the issue. You will need to diagnose your GPU problem (no signal?)

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

the games that do run are 2D, FTL and One Finger Death Punch.

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

I disabled integrated graphics in the device manager though, I was thinking that would utilise the GPU even though it was playing through the mobo?

Cable MUST be to the dedicated card, there is no way to transfer the signal to the MoBo's connector (excepting Optimus laptops).

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Ok, I ran the cable through the GPU and I get he error "No signal through pc", any ideas?

MereMango

Commendable
May 1, 2016

I don't have another computer to test it on, but I have tried putting the card into another slot and that did nothing.

4745454b

Titan
Correct, that's the problem. You have to have the monitor plugged into the card. Otherwise you are just using the IGP. Make sure "PEG" is first in the bios, and that the card is firmly in the slot. Is power running to the card correctly?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS