i5 2500 non k bottleneck gtx 1060?

BrandonThePatriot

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Hi im asking if my i5-2500 non k will bottleneck my gtx 1060? if so by how much? because i did so much research and people say it wouldn't but counter strike is running at an lower fps then what it usually does. Thanks so much

Solution
If you have 8GB or less, check memory usage. System memory usage can increase with increased GPU memory and if you were tight on memory before, the extra memory usage may be causing swapping. That would ruin your performance on short notice.
Taken from another thread I posted in:

It's important to know that CPU and GPU load are largely unrelated. Let me make up a hypothetical: Game X only runs at 40fps on your CPU. Your video card can deliver 30fps on high settings, and 50fps on low settings. At high settings you'll get 30fps (GPU bottleneck) and at low settings you'll get 40fps (CPU bottleneck). There are generally no settings you can change that significantly affect CPU load, so I often recommend people buy "enough" CPU before they start adding to their video card budget, but be aware that it's a balancing act, and will depend on your expectations, use-case and budget.

One will always bottleneck the other. A better question to ask is, "Will the i5 2500 give me the framerates I want in the games I play?" whose answer is entirely subjective.

BrandonThePatriot

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
well i mean i had a Radeon HD7850 in and counter strike would settle around 200 fps. I was running msi afterburner and playing grand theft auto 5 and the load for the cpu hit 99% and the gpu was 40-50%?? its on all very high settings though so im not sure if im some type of grapholic and i just want maximum graphics or something. I noticed when i was just playing ryse the son of rome with my HD7850 It ran fine on all high settings but on my new gtx 1060 6gb SC it doesnt really hit very well. Should i just upgrade my cpu? if so to what? i have a lga1155 motherboard so there aren't many good options for me right now.

InvalidError

Titan
If you have 8GB or less, check memory usage. System memory usage can increase with increased GPU memory and if you were tight on memory before, the extra memory usage may be causing swapping. That would ruin your performance on short notice.

Solution

neblogai

Distinguished
Which motherboard you have? Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors for upgrade are inexpensive because it is difficult to find a good motherboard for them- lack of motherboards, and surplus of processors in the market.