Getting a 1070, heard about i5 bottleneck, trying to overclock CPU

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hi folks,
So, as the title says, Im getting a new 1070 graphics card an i've been reading some things about how the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU on the older i5 processors.
I have a 3570k, MSI z77g45 mobo, and a hyper 212 i'm trying to overclock it to get a little more life out of it (even if it doesn't bottleneck my GPU, I still want to overclock it.)
So, basically what's happening is that as soon as I load up prime 95 and choose the "small fft", within a few seconds my CPU hits about 70 in core temp and it drops my frequency from 4.4ghz to 4ghz and I can leave it run and it wont get past about 75 and jumps between 3.8 and 4ghz.
How do I achieve a faster OC? I've read that these CPU's can run into the high 80's under load and still be considered totally fine, so how do I keep it from throttling back?

Solution
I think I figured it out. My long duration power (I think thats what its called) was set at 77 and I bumped it up to 95 and havent had it downclock since

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
Do you have experience with going into your bios? Because this sounds like you have throttling enabled which will cause your cpu to downclock any time it starts getting hot. So, if you can go into your bios and turn off all power saving and cpu throttling features that should keep it at the preferred clock you're setting it to.

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Ugh this is driving me crazy, i've spent 2 hours on google trying to figure out what it could be. I can have it set to 4.4ghz and as soon as the temps hit 70 it downclocks to 4ghz and 75 it downclocks to 3.8 and wont go past that. I know its a setting and ive been through my entire BIOS and I still have NO idea :(

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I think I figured it out. My long duration power (I think thats what its called) was set at 77 and I bumped it up to 95 and havent had it downclock since

Solution