i5 4720 + GTX 1060 or 1070 ? New CPU ?

HeroMD

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
Hi guys,

I currently have a i5 4570 that was used mainly as a media center for watching shows and movies.

Since a couple weeks, I bought a GTX 1060 6gb SC and started playing games with it including H1Z1 , BF4, BF1 .

It runs great at 1080p all maxed out but for BF1 which has some FPS drops sometimes, averaging 80 fps with drops to 60.

I just bought the 1060, I can still return it and grab a 1070

My question is, should I be worried more about getting a new CPU (eg i7-4790K) or switching GPU to a 1070 ? Will there be much difference from my 1060 SC 6GB to a 1070 ?

What do you guys suggest ?

Solution

yes, The CPU is good for today's gaming.

what's said above should be also taken into consideration. Because in the end, for today the RX 480 is a great card to handle whatever you need @1080p. But if you are looking to make one time purchase, 1070 is the one to get. This is because it leaves room for future upgrades, Higher res gaming/monitor upgrades, as well as absolute stunning graphics.

gussrtk

Honorable
i believe you meant that you have an "i7" 4720. you do not need to worry about new CPU, you can use a 1070 with no issues, of course the 1070 will produce nicer graphics and run better than 1070 :) it'll help those fps :)

if it's something you wish to get and are able to then it's prolly something you should :)

gussrtk

Honorable

eitherway, even for that model of i5, the 1070 will be a good gpu. only issue that you may see, is on CPU intensive games you may has slightly lower fps (5 or so) than on games that are not as cpu intensive (because of older gen cpu) . This really means nothing, i'm just giving you extra bit of info.

Mac070

Admirable
BANNED
I purchased a Asus Strix RX 480 ROG OC 8GB GPU and paired it with my I5 6600K. I recently returned mine for the EVA FTW GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 and don't doubt my decision one bit. It's a huge upgrade , especially for 1080P gaming. Anyways only turn on settings you need. Any settings that say "post" I would turn completely off for the sake of visuals and performance. When off it gives a more clear and crisp image compared to the blurry screen. You'll get huge FPS increases by doing so..... Good Luck!!

gussrtk

Honorable

yes, The CPU is good for today's gaming.

what's said above should be also taken into consideration. Because in the end, for today the RX 480 is a great card to handle whatever you need @1080p. But if you are looking to make one time purchase, 1070 is the one to get. This is because it leaves room for future upgrades, Higher res gaming/monitor upgrades, as well as absolute stunning graphics.

Solution