970 or 1060 After a failed 660ti

Akikage12

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
My current rig is

Processor : i7-3770k
Motherboard: Intel DZ75ML-45K
GPU: Palit 660ti (Bought in 2012 Might have died details below)
PSU: Corsair CS750M
RAM: 8Gb
Storage: 120gb SSD + 1TB HDD
Case: Cooler Master medium size case with 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans.(Okayish ventilation)

So a few days back my computer wouldn't detect anything in its PCIE slot 1 or 2. I thought my PSU had failed so i checked the voltages and it seems fine. I dont know how to flash my BIOS or reset CMOS etc so I'll probably take it to the shop to confirm that its either :-

A: Dead GPU or
B: Bad Motherboard.
C: Some firmware or software related thing.

My question is assuming I have to get a new GPU. Would you recommend a 1060 or a 970? Also would you recommend a Motherboard change as well? If so which motherboard works well with this card and a ivy bridge i7?

Keep in mind I only game in 1080p but a little future proofing wont hurt. The games i play are CSGO, Eve Online (heavy multiboxing) and I'm very interested to play the new titles on steam as well. The Ambient temperatures in my room are about 25-30 degrees Celsius (the 660ti was a very hot card and gave me many issues i would like to not ever see again)

PS: If the issue is a known software/easy to fix issue do let me know.

Before you make any purchases, start out by borrowing a cheap pci-e graphics card.
Test the card in the mobo, power it up, if the mobo sends the signal to the graphics card to power on and works fine for a day.
The problem would be you're old gtx660ti, now if it doesn't power on and if you try another one with the same results.
The problem will fall back on the motherboard itself, if your motherboard still has any remaining warrenty service on it.
Call Intel RMA support, speak with the Tier 2 or Tier 3 Technicians to trouble shoot it and maybe get a replacement.

Find a way to test both items, if worse comes to worse, you might need to replace both items.
If money isn't a big issue, I'm sure I could get you both items under 300.00 bucks total.

Get the 1060 for sure. I suggest you see if the motherboards video is working. If it does then most likely its your video card. There is a narrow chance it could still be the PSU unable to output enough for the 660ti. The 660ti does require more power than the 1060 so its your best option.

Akikage12

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

As well as the others who posted above.

If its just my GPU that is damaged should I also change my Motherboard If i get a 1060? Or is it okay to just run it on the old one? I would like to avoid as many compatibility issues as possible. Also I forgot to mention that I currently was running two screens and would like to go upto 3 screens of 1080p resolution.

The video when my card is plugged in only works directly from the motherboard and also only the HDMI on the motherboard works not the DVI slot.
PS thanks for replying so soon.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
No need to change the motherboard if its not faulty. May be worth updating the bios to the latest version, but other than that should be fine.

If you use the HDMI on the motherboard you will be using the built in Intel graphics, not the graphics card.

Go ahead and purchase the gtx1060 if thats the case, if the onboard graphics I guess the motherboard is ok.
I still don't agree with rob and I think the mobo pci-e slot might be damaged and you'll need a mobo eventually.
You will find out for sure if the new gtx card you are getting does not work and like I mentioned to try it with another graphics card.

If you like that intel motherboard, this is a better step up away from intel based mobos.
If asrock didn't have a poor reputation for customer service help like asus does I recommend them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B019M0FBZW/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_style_name=1&qid=1477481002&sr=8-2

Akikage12

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
So heres an update for you guys. I took it to the shop and another cheaper Card worked in my pcie express slot. I'm going to test my Card in a friends computer just to confirm its dead and then I guess 1060MSI version gaming X 6gb is the one ill probably get. Unless it has any known issues or anything.