80-100% memory usage minutes after booting (Win 7 x64)

highpr

Reputable
Oct 20, 2016
So the issue that I'm trying to overcome is that my brother's laptop starts out at around 1gb of ram usage (which is normal for startup purposes) and does the usual up and down, then sits at 1gb. After about 4-6 minutes, the Memory usage sky rockets up to 3gb to the maximum.

I have no clue how to solve this issue and have searched on the internet for a few days and tried a few things.

I have looked in the "Uninstall a program" to see if he's installed something that's out of the ordinary but it all seems fine.

I only just reinstalled windows to his laptop 4 days ago and he never had this memory issue before the reinstallation.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
highpr

EDIT: I forgot to add somewhere that I have started it in Safe Mode and it was completely fine as it should be. Also if needed I can include pictures of processes running and performance.

highpr

Reputable
Oct 20, 2016

I looked in Task Manager Processes Tab, nothing jumped out, went to resource monitor and svhots.exe (netsvcs) is at around 2.5gb. any way to fix svhosts?

EDIT: Just clicked show all processes from all users and svhost was there as well

You need to run a virus/malware scan immediately. "svhots.exe" isn't a legitimate windows process.

I feel really stupid right now. I was showing him how it should be spelled, and I misspelled it.

highpr

Reputable
Oct 20, 2016

I got worried looking at this message, then realised it was svchost.exe

It's still not a bad idea to run a scan, but it may not solve your issues. After scanning, you can try some of the things listed here:

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-svchost-exe-netsvcs-memory-leak-or-high-cpu-usage-problems/

I had the Windows Update issue myself, it wasn't using up all my memory, but it was maxing out one core nonstop. Had to manually install one of the kb's because it would never finish on its own.

highpr

Reputable
Oct 20, 2016

It alreadys been fixed