100 mbps service, but only receiving 1 mbps. Using a wireless WiFi adapter Netgear A6210

vmeo01

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Hello, i am having an issue with my internet. Currently I have xfinity and recently they upgraded my internet speed to 100 mbps. I tested it out on the family computer that's currently in the same room with the modem and router (a Cisco-Valet wireless router) it was running at about 95 mbps, but then later I tested it out on my personal computer but now I'm getting roughly around 1 mbps, I've been having this issue for a while now. I assumed with my internet being upgraded it would solve the problem but so far it has not. I am using a wireless wifi adapter, a Netgear A6210, I've narrowed down the issue to two causes
1. The comcast modem/ Cisco router doesn't reach all the way back to the opposite side of my house where my personal computer is located
2. To fully receive the 100 mbps i need to be plugged in to the modem
But I am not 100%, any insight on this issue or fixing it is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Solution

1. Probably not.
2. Definetly. Direct Ethernet connection is always going to be better than WiFi, distance aside, WiFi does not like walls, appliances, pipes, etc, interference will really drag down your MB/s unless you are in a large open place.

You will probably need to run an Ethernet cable to the modem/router or use a range extender to get the signal to your computer.

Its also worth noting that a Cisco-Valet is not a high end...

Autocrat

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016

1. Probably not.
2. Definetly. Direct Ethernet connection is always going to be better than WiFi, distance aside, WiFi does not like walls, appliances, pipes, etc, interference will really drag down your MB/s unless you are in a large open place.

You will probably need to run an Ethernet cable to the modem/router or use a range extender to get the signal to your computer.

Its also worth noting that a Cisco-Valet is not a high end router, so I would not expect terrific WiFI from it.

Solution