1080 Ti SLI viability (Speculation)

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
So looking at games I play now especially older games, they tend to stress my GPU a lot more than they should, or they don't properly utilize the Pascal architecture. So I have started thinking about SLI

For one I currently have a Zotac Amp! Extreme 1080, definitely going to get a 1080 Ti, but based on current manufacturers and models I don't know if I want to stick with a single GPU config or go to SLI,

My thinking is that a similar single Zotac Amp! Extreme 1080 Ti should be able to blow away just about anything at 2k and do very well at 4k, if not also blow away 4k.

But What about 2-way SLI for the upcoming 1080 Ti? Would that just be complete overkill?
It's also worth pointing out Asus's attempt at the first 144Hz 4k monitor. I am also planning on getting that, as well as, hopefully sooner the Asus ROG Swift 144Hz, 1440p, G-sync monitor.

Would you actually NEED 2 1080 Ti's to actually use 144Hz at 4k?

Another thing is if I were to go to 2-way what would be a good card to use? The Amp! Extreme is a massive beast, and 2-way on that might get difficult since I use a brace for my single card as it is and I would have no idea how to support two of them. My second favorite would be the Asus ROG Strix OC hopefully that one wouldn't sag as much without a brace.

But anyways, would 1080 Ti 2-way even be worth it?

Hopefully a Titan X Pascal owner will chime in since the 1080 Ti will be very similar.

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016
Why would you sell a 1080 for a 1080 Ti? the performance increase would be mediocre for the extra $200-$300 you would be paying (after sale).

1080 Ti is SLI is probably going to be popular like the 980 Ti was. Everyone was getting 980 SLI and then the 980 Ti came and took the crown for the best price-to-performance enthusiast card without getting a Titan X(M).

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Thanks for the history lesson that does shed some light, but if history has taught us anything, it's that the Ti should be about a 20% increase in power over the 1080.
But I also have about $1,500 of disposable income per month so cost isn't as much of an issue for me, now I'm not going to go out and buy a Titan X, for 1.) Two Ti's or even 1080's will outperform one Titan for roughly the same price, and an overclocked 1080 Ti will come VERY close to the performance of one Titan X for half the price.

So I would really just like to know if a single 1080 Ti will get me to max out 4k (even with a 144Hz 4k monitor) or should I look at SLI.

My only real concern with SLI is that certain games might not support it and I would have to take out a card to play it. Mostly old games.

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016

No card or SLI setup can reach 144hz 4K but to get as high as you can two Titan Xs in SLI would be your best bet, probably watercooled as well.

You could probably do this, considering the 1080 Ti MSRP is $800 (its a guess):

Buy dual 1080 Ti now

Watercool your whole rig next month and OC the hell out of your 1080 Tis

Enjoy!

The Watercooling part isn't necessary.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Well I mean it's not out but I probably will. Just want to know about SLI viability.

There's also a report that 2 1080's perform the same as two Titan X's at 4k and you need 5k to push the Titans harder.

So who knows I might just get another 1080. It's hard to say without having a ton of information on either the Titan XP or the 1080 Ti.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
You know I'm actually going make a new post I can word this better where I think more people will answer. I know which card I want I just want to know the pros and cons of SLI. Thanks for your help feel free to chime in on my new post.

ryguybuddy

Estimable
Jul 3, 2016

Sure! good luck!