My I5-4440 is Really Bottlenecking my GTX 1060 !!!

MostaFive

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
Hello Everyone
I just bought a new MSI GTX 1060 Gaming x and I am facing a real problem here with my CPU
I tried Battlefield 1 and GTA V , and it seems to be the same problem
I searched before I buy the VGA and I thought it's ok and no bottleneck is going to happen
these are some screenshots from videos I recorded with cpu and gpu usage and frame rate
http://imgur.com/a/IGFTI
and these are my specs
http://imgur.com/a/TnQXq

What should I do now ? is there any solution for this ?

Solution
Battlefield 1 and GTA V are CPU-intensive games, so there's less of a demand placed on the GPU. There's nothing wrong with your PC, that's just how some games are developed.

If you want to improve the frame rate, then look through the advanced graphical options and figure out which settings are the most demanding.
Battlefield 1 and GTA V are CPU-intensive games, so there's less of a demand placed on the GPU. There's nothing wrong with your PC, that's just how some games are developed.

If you want to improve the frame rate, then look through the advanced graphical options and figure out which settings are the most demanding.

Solution

MostaFive

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016

16 GB of ram -- it should be 1333 MHz and I how would I know if it's suited or not ?

Unfortunately there is probably not much you can do about it besides getting a stronger cpu, those games are very cpu heavy. In other games the i5 will be fine though. Battlefield minimum cpu is the i5 6600k, recommended is the i7 4790.

I have the i7 4790 and also play Battlefield 1 and sometimes it's running in 90%. So an i5 4440 will always be at 100%

MostaFive

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016

I marked this as a solution by mistake :wahoo: however what should I do now ? upgrade my cpu ?

It appears your cpu is bottlenecking some, likely due to low clock speeds. There's also a bit more load placed on the cpu when playing online multiplayer. Given the high use of the cpu that's what I'd be looking at. Are other tasks running in the background when you're playing games? Things taking up cpu resources? If so you may want to try and close those other programs down.

The 4440 is really low end for the i5's and while yes it's a true quad core it's a slow quad core. An i5 4690 should be able to reach around 3.7ghz with all 4 cores fully loaded, that's 600mhz more than your cpu is showing or 20% faster. An i7 4790k runs 1.1ghz faster out of the box without even overclocking it (which you wouldn't be doing on that motherboard). That's almost 36% faster.

Whether or not the cost of a new cpu is worth it to you or not is something only you can decide but you can't make a locked cpu faster. Every one of those screen shots shows temps to be fine but the cpu usage to be nearly maxed out while the gpu is cruising along at 30-50% use. While many people often suggest "i5 for gaming" it's true, but it makes a difference which i5. The 4440, 4460, 4570, 4590, 4670, 4690 are all different and aren't the same thing. Outside of replacing the cpu and given your current specs and cpu/gpu usage you may as well crank up the eye candy in the games and enjoy the graphics since the gpu is only being around 50% utilized at most.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

i5-4690 also ''bottlenecks'' in Battlefield 1 really. As long as you don't have an overclocked Skylake i5 or a relatively modern Intel i7 processor, you'll get CPU spikes from time to time in Battlefield 1 multiplayer.

Mantle prevented CPU spikes in Battlefield 4 with AMD GPU's. There is nothing like it anymore in BF1.

I'm sure it will bottleneck some, bf1 is pretty cpu intensive. It will be less of a bottleneck though when factoring 600mhz increase in speed. It's not a minor increase like the 100mhz difference between a 4440 and 4460. That 600mhz speed increase is something that could be achieved simply by replacing the cpu on the op's existing board without overclocking.

Going by the op's screenshots, they inquired about a couple of games. Both showed the cpu maxed out while the gpu was largely unused which does indicate a bottleneck. It's not for lack of cores which means it's for lack of speed. Having a locked cpu indicates the solution is a faster cpu and in fact there are faster i5's for their platform as well as the 4790k which benefits from higher clock speeds over its non k counterpart aside from overclocking.

TRENDING THREADS