Is I5-4460 upgrade for fx-8320?

thaares

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Would it be upgrade for mmo games cause i get sub 40 fps there. I dont have enough money to go for ddr4 and skylake i5. And i would sell my current cpu and mbo for more than half of value of new cpu and mbo

Fx-8320
R9 290
16gb ram vengance
Asrock 990fx ex3

I play elder scrolls online, old republic and battlefield 1

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You may see some gains due to the significantly higher clock speed (4.2GHz on the FX vs 3.4 on the i5), but it's really not an 'upgrade' overall.

It's tough to justify any AMD chip at the moment (hopefully Zen changes that).

The i5-4460 is still a very, very capable CPU.

Can you give some specific game examples, and post your full specs?

thaares

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

Fx-8320
R9 290
16gb ram vengance
Asrock 990fx ex3

I play elder scrolls online, old republic and battlefield 1

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You shouldn't need to 'force' it to run at max turbo speed, as it's adaptive & should 'ramp up' as/when necessary.
Ensure 'turbo boost' is enabled in your BIOS though (it should be as standard, but there's a couple of reports of BIOS's having it disabled by default, and users have the ability to disable of course...)

Wait, do you currently have an FX-8320?? Of an i5-4460??

WildCard999

Titan
MMO's are a bad example for testing, even with a high end system you can easily drop to around 40-30 depending on how much is happening around, population, server, etc. For example my system (i7, SLI GTX 780 6gbs) gets around 110-120 FPS in Blade & Soul for the most part but whenever there's a high populated area or a field boss with a lot ppl in the area my FPS drops significantly down to around 50-40 FPS. You can lower settings & resolution to reduce the frequency of FPS dips but essentially your going to always get them in MMO's.

going from an fx-8320 to an i5-4xxx is an upgrade for gaming but frankly it is not a worthwhile upgrade for the cost.

You are talking CPU + Motherboard + possibly a new windows license (you will have to plead with microsoft to reactivate windows on a different motherboard).

You should save up your money until you can go all out and buy the newest intel cpu instead of sinking $300 into a platform already out of date.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Shouldn't on Windows 10.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Provided it's build 1607 or later & linked to your MS account.

I agree though, if the OP can't afford a Skylake i5+DDR4 upgrade settling for a prior Gen i5 isn't going to be an 'upgrade'.
If the choice was which to buy of the two, the i5 wins out but, under the circumstances (assuming they have the FX, it's not 100% clear to me) I would recommend keeping the 8320 and saving a little more for a Skylake (or Kaby lake) upgrade.