r7 240 4gb edition

Ricardoaveentje

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
hi there

i friend of mine bought this video card, i have the same but than the 2gb edition will the 4gb edition perform better in performance because it has a bigger VRAM or will it be the same?

like i play Starwars Battlefront on medium with 28FPS will he have more fps on Medium settings?

Greetings Ricardo

Solution
They both are the same in everything like boost clock, memory cache or shader processing units. Ofcourse the difference is as you write here that one is 2 GB and one is 4 GB, this doesn't increase performance and sorry to say both cards are not capable of gaming at all.
If you want to upgrade, then upgrading to 4 GB version of the same card wouldn't make sense, instead consider upgrading to an R7 250.
They both are the same in everything like boost clock, memory cache or shader processing units. Ofcourse the difference is as you write here that one is 2 GB and one is 4 GB, this doesn't increase performance and sorry to say both cards are not capable of gaming at all.
If you want to upgrade, then upgrading to 4 GB version of the same card wouldn't make sense, instead consider upgrading to an R7 250.

Solution

To run games at higher settings, Video ram is required. If you turn up the settings too much and it exceeds your GPU vram then the game will start lagging.

Ricardoaveentje

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

i tried the 4gb edition of the card from that friend of my, and you won't believe it but with my 2gb card i reached 25 fps on 1280x720 HD Resolution on medium settings with that 4gb card i can reach 30fps on High settings :O how is it possible it looks more stable almost no fps lost. even the same with GTA 5 and The Division but division i reached with the 2gb card on low settings 23fps now medium 30-28 fps.

Maybe his card is overclocked.

Ricardoaveentje

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

no he got the Asus Radeon R7 240 OC 4GB Edition with 820 Core clock and 900 memory its more stable than mine 2gb and performs way better!.

And as far as iknow and did my research with ocing you wont get any more than 5 to 8 fps

I can't believe that card could possibly use more than 2GB, even of GDDR3. Two and half years ago I got the 1GB version (GDDR5) of the R7 250 for my old computer, it runs 1080p and never runs out of VRAM. My current R9 290X is 4GB and it never uses all of it's VRAM either and it's many times more powerful.

So you guys share the same overall specs?

Ricardoaveentje

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

we both have the Acer Aspire AX5400 with the AMD Phenom ii X6 1035T Edition we only both upgraded our Graphics card to the R7 240 only he bought the 4gb and i bought the 2gb