FX-8350: Trying to understand why disabling cores improves game performance (and how to enable all cores turbo question)

Helgaiden

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
So a computer i built for my brother a while back which has an FX-8350 and 16gb RAM (and a more recent addition, a 980ti), seems to have some odd issues. It mostly plays everything great including BF4, Darksiders 2, RB6: Siege, etc. However, when The Division launched he encountered some issues. Basically the game would run great, 80-90+fps at 1080p ultra with a 144hz monitor, then every few minutes there would be lag and a big FPS drop to less than 10 fps that would last about 30 seconds, then back to normal. Rinse, repeat. Made the game unenjoyable. Through some research we discovered that going into task manager and setting core affinity on the game exe to only use 4 cores (0, 1, 2, 3) caused the game to run perfectly fine. There was a slight FPS hit, but the performance smoothed out.

We thought this was an isolated incident until BF1 came out. The beta ran fine, however the final release doesn't. He downloaded it and jumped on yesterday and the same exact issues as The Division cropped up. Updated drivers, tried different settings in the nvidia control panel, etc to no avail. I figured it was bottlenecking so i told him to go into bf1 and crank up the graphical scaling to put a heavier load on the GPU to give the CPU a chance to catch up better. He maxed it out to 200% and said it was running better, but the issue eventually returned. So then i remembered the core affinity trick from The Division. He did it, and it worked and everything ran great after that. I figured maybe turning cores off that way allowed it to turbo up higher on the remaining cores, but im not sure thats accurate.

Any idea why this is a fix? Why this is happening? This is on windows 10 as well.

Also, what BIOS settings would i need to look at to try to force all cores to run at the max turbo frequency all the time? Motherboard is an ASRock 970 Extreme 4 i think. I feel like going this route would also stabilize/smooth things out, and if it doesn't its at least worth a try.

Solution
Under high load I expect the motherboard VRM's are overheating, that boards are quite weak. By using fewer cores you are reducing the power draw allowing the VRM's to cope without throttling the CPU.

Helgaiden

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

The case has an insane amount of airflow and everything runs very cool in it. Would that still not help the VRMs under a heavy load?

Another thing worth checking is your settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Make sure that it's always set to performance just in case. I wouldn't see that disabling cores would be the solution to your issue and as someone else has pointed out, there may be some thermal throttling occurring. Also, just for the sake of knowledge, what size PSU is in that case?

Helgaiden

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

I'll get that from my brother next time he's at his computer.

Would suck if it was thermal throttling given how cool everything runs in his case. I believe its a 630w power supply, or a 650w i dont remember exactly.